• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Button accessibility questions

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First time poster, wasn't able to find an answer on a couple captivate questions and was hoping for some help.

1. with the ability to make a button active/inactive, i know you can adjust the slider on the timeline and can disable the pause altogether but is there a way to switch the active/inactive states?  (ie the button shows up at 30 seconds but cannot actually be selected until 60 seconds?)

2. one of my goals in a current project is to present the learners with buttons representing the course objectives on one slide.  all but the first objective are inactive to start though.  from here they will select the first objective, complete the material, and return to the objective slide with the first objective marked complete.  they will now be able to re-select the first objective to review it or select the now unlocked second objective continuing through until all 5 objectives have been completed.  this will then prompt the custom next button to appear and at this point all 5 buttons will be active and can be re-selected for review or they can use the next button to proceed with wrapping up the module. 

i imagine the second question is linked to advanced actions and variables but am unable to find a solution myself or online.  the one workaround i've considered is just keeping the elearning more linear and after completing the first module it simply brings you to a new objective screen that looks the same as the first minus the small changes.

would appreciate any help or feedback that can be provided on these.

- Matt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently logged a bug, because inactive is not working anymore in HTML output. Although the pausing point still will pause the slide (not totally the same as the Pause command, but that is another question), even when in the inactive part you'll still be able to click the button and have the action done.

The only way i see to have something disabled, is to use the Disable command. If you combine that with the Delay Next actions .... you could create a button which is first disabled, then enabled. However, you should know that the Delay Next actions time cannot be paused in any way. Probably bit confusing?

Did you read this blog post (about the Next button appearing conditionally)?

Force Clicking Hotspots: Comparison 2 Workflows - eLearning

Again, you'll need advanced actions, but since you are talking about coming back to the slide, you can split them up in multiple actions.

Several workflows are possible. I suspect you have a Back button to return to the Objective slide? Use that button for an advanced or shared action that will:

1. Enable the next objective on the objective slide
  2. Change the state of the present objective, unless you use the automatic Visited state
  3. Increment the value of a counter, which is a user variable starting with 0
  4. Jump to the objective slide.

You can use the On Enter event of the objective slide to check the value of the counter, if it has reached its maximum the Next button can be made visible. I have explained this workflow multiple times in presentations, training, and probably also several times in my blog as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really appreciate the reply.  I thought I had it set to work just like I wanted but ran into a few hiccups.  thought maybe i wasn't catching certain things in the advanced action conditions so tried a number of different things.  apologies for the lengthy post.

so my objective slide has 3 buttons (one for each objective) and a next button (that will not appear until all objectives have been complete).  once the last slide of an objective's section is reached there is a return button.

i set 3 variables.  one for each objective and set them to 0.

- objective_1

- objective_2

- objective_3

i programmed an advanced action to the return button that:

- returned to the objective slide

- raised objective 1's increment by 1

i also programmed an advanced action on the entry of the objective slide that had the 3 decisions:

1. disables objective 2 and 3 and hides next button

If objective_1 is equal to 0 AND

objective_2 is  equal to 0 AND

objective_3 is equal to 0

Enable Objective_1_button

Disable Objective_2_button

Disable Objective_3_button

Hide_Next_button

2. disables objective 3 and hides next button

If objective_1 is greater than or equal to 1 AND

objective_2 is equal to 0 AND

objective_3 is equal to 0

Enable Objective_2_button

Disable Objective_3_button

Hide_Next_button

3. shows next button

If objective_1 is greater than or equal to 1 AND

objective_2 is greater than or equal to 1 AND

objective_3 is greater than or equal to 1

Enable Objective_2_button

Enable Objective_3_button

Show_Next_button

Now i know this is more thorough than it 'needs' to be but it's the result of many failed versions and I cannot see a hole in the logic.  It works as intended at first in that the objective slide loads and the next button is hidden and you can only select the first objective BUT after clicking the return button the second objective does not become enabled.

FOLLOW UP QUESTION:

The objective slide in question has motion paths associated with the objective buttons.  is there anyway to prevent the motion paths from replaying when returning to the slide?

thanks again for the help!

- matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as a follow up, it seems if i set the return button to jump to the slide before the objective slide, once it reaches the objective slide it is behaving the way i want it to.  am i doing something incorrectly tying the other advanced action to the entrance of the objective slide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You choose another way than I explained and made it a lot more complicated, but that is your choice of course.

n this case, with 3 variables, dso NOT use Increment but Assign to 1 for the variables. That way they will be either 0 or 1: 0 if the objective has never been visited, 1 if the objective has been done at least once. If you use Increment that will not be the case.

Why do you do everything with the On Enter action?  Unless I understood wrongly, the sequence is imposed for enabling/disabling. Why make it dependent on the variable? The logic is not correct at all. I always try to offer the easiest way, but often see that newbies to advanced actions unnecessary add a lot of commands which are superfluous.   I understood from the original question:

• Situation 1: , only the first objective is enabled, the two others are disabled. With your new setup that can be tested by checking if ALL the variables are still set to 0. In that case you enable the first objective and disable the two other objectives. This would then be the first decision for the On Enter action.
  • Second situation: the user has finished the first objective. I told you to use the Back button on the last slide of that chapber to do several actions:
    • Set the variable of the first objective to 1 (this is new, because you didnt follow the original setup)
    • Change the state of the first objective on the objective slide to a new state with the check mark
    • Jump to the objective slide
    • Enable the second button
  • You are coming back to the objective slide, and it wil repeat the On Enter action. You need a second decision for that action to test all the variables. If they are all set to 1 you show the Next button. The On Enter action for the objective slide has 2 decisions now and that is suffcieint: the first one is for the start situation (nothing done), the second one when all objective buttons have been visited at least once to show the Next button
  • Next situation can be different now: learner has choice between first and second objective. If he repeats the first one, the actions described before will happen, but the variable remains set to 1. INothing in the described second situation can 'hurt'. If the learner chooses to visit the second objective, you have to create a similar action for the Back button on that end slide as described under the Second situation, but you have to edit the vraiable (now objective 2), the name of the objective button for which the state has to be changed, and the last command should enable the third button. The On Enter action will still see the last variable to be set to 0, so will not show the Next button. That will only happen after the visit to the Third objective slides where the Back button does something similar as for the two other objectives, with the exception of the Enable command which is no longer necessary since all buttons have been enabled.

Please try to follow my instructions instead of adding a lot. Or take a  training in Advanced Actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for the follow up.  where i was running into trouble was the changing state action in advanced actions.  took me longer than i care to admit that I wasn't finding what I wanted because you can only select custom states (had it tied to 'down' originally)

i now have my objective buttons and next button behaving the way i want (so far) but am still left stuck on the situation that when i return to the objective slide it begins the motion paths from the beginning again.  this also has me concerned about the impact once i begin adding audio in as well.  so really 2 questions here.

1. how do you return to a slide without it redoing entrance/motion paths?

2. more a confirmation but i imagine it's possible to program different audio tracks to play on the same objective slide based on variables similar to enabling the objective buttons, correct?

thanks again for the assistance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should have read this blog post:

About State Commands and a Progress Bar - Captivate blog

When did you mention the requirement that you only want to have effects applied the first time? I have screened through the whole thread but cannot find any reference to that?

Apply the effect with the On Enter conditional action, only in the first decision which will be executed when the objective slide is visited the first time. At this moment I suppose you have time-based effects. Another solution would be micro-navigation as explained in  blog post:

Force First View (micro-navigation) - Captivate blog   or

Play Audio once on First Visit - Captivate blog  followed by

Advanced to Shared Action: Step-By-Step (micro-navigation showcase) - Captivate blog

The answer to the last question is yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you again.  I am extremely close to getting this working as intended and have learned quite a bit thanks to your links along the way.  unfortunately as i learn more, part of what i learn is more things i do not know!

i'll admit, the actions i have set up don't match what you've recommended 100%.  some likely due to user error and some small changes i made based on results of testing.  i hope this falls under the "several workflows being possible" from your original post and not just me doing it wrong!

as of now i have my objective slide with 3 objective buttons that become enabled sequentially as the previous objective is completed.  returning to the objective slide also puts a checkmark next to the objective to indicate its completion while not preventing the learner from reviewing it.  i've also set up a next button to appear on the slide once all 3 objectives have been completed.

i followed another answer of yours from a different thread and was able to save several custom motion paths to trigger in the same on enter action i'm using in the steps listed earlier.  unfortunately, when i add these custom motion paths to the objects via advanced animation, they do not go through them in preview.

i've done some testing and it does not seem to be an issue with the 'if' conditional as i created an action without one and that skipped the selected motion path animations as well.  i also don't believe it's an issue with the custom animation as i've used standard entrance and motion path animations in the tested advanced action and it seems to skip over these as well simply fading in to the slide. 

are there any conflicts with tying these animations to the on enter action that i'm missing or possibly a bug i'm unaware of?  i know this is a long post but i appreciate your thoroughness so far.

one follow up question to the diatribe above, i'm concerned that once i do figure out this issue with the motion paths, i'm still going to have problems with the learners revisiting the objective slide.  even with the motion paths removed, the objectives are still staggered to appear one after another in the timeline meaning they will still fade in on the slide at the staggered times, just without the accompanying motion path.  i'll confess i haven't had a chance to really deep dive the micronavigation information yet, is that the best direction to look?

i've included a screenshot of the objective slide timeline in case that is helpfultimeline.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no! That is another situation I didn't know about. I have to leave soon, will not to be able to answer tonighanymore. You should read my blogs about the Timeline, because that seems also a problem.

I fyou want to keep the staggering, you'll need to use micronavigation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I explained the mcironavigation in the links I posted before.  Please read them.

BTW you have 5 interactive objects all pausing the timeline at its last frame. I never recommend to do that, please leave at least a couple of frames after te pausing points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources