Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Button included in quiz being marked as 'incomplete' for no reason

Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I have a 'complete' button at the end of the eLearning that I have included in Quiz. It has 10 points associated with it (see below image).

In order to be marked as complete, users need to get 90 points (including the 10 points associated with the button).

For some reason, the button is being marked as 'incorrect' in my LMS, so users are not getting the 10 points (see the second image below).

How could they be being marked as 'incorrect' when all they need to do is a click a button and there IS no 'incorrect' answer? Why would it only mark as incorrect sometimes and not others?

This has happened to me before and I've never been able to complete it. The only solution I can find is a work around - two 10 point buttons that the user has to click at the end of the eLearning - keeping the requirement for completion at 90 points so that if ONE is marked incorrect, they still are marked as complete.

My worry is that both of them will be marked as incorrect at some point and the learner won't have their learning marked as complete.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

included-in-quiz2.png

included-in-quiz.png

incompelte.png

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which action is triggered by that button? Do you have more interactive objects on that slide? If you click outside of that button (which may be by clicking on another button) it is a Failure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The button triggers the action to 'Go to next slide'

The only other button on the slide is the 'back' button which I have to have there - which I didn't click - I don't think that is what caused it to result in a failure.

Capture2.PNGCapture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My coordinator has just asked me to add in tick boxes for all of the topics where we can record users ticking each box.

Now I'm worried this will cause each button clicked to be marked as 'incorrect' as there are multiple buttons on a page.

Any thoughts?

ticks.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selecting a checkbox that is supposed to be selected would not normally result in it being marked as incorrect.  You would normally only get marked incorrect for selecting a box that should NOT have been selected.

As Lieve suggested, you may need to look at your Project > Advanced Interactions dialog to find out if there are other interactive objects in the project that are interfering with completion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you tell captivate that a checkbox is 'supposed' to be selected.

I now have the page set up with multiple check boxes and a 'confirm and proceed' button.

Below is a screenshot of advanced interactions. What do you think I should be looking for? From my perspective it looks fine - the checkboxes aren't included in the total but the submit and confirm is.

As I mentioned there is a back button but I don't see how that should interfere as I didn't click it when it marked the click as incorrect.

advanced.PNG

Any help would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of 'checkboxes' are these?

Your screen shot only shows Smart Shapes, which are not check boxes.  So are you configuring these Smart Shapes to Act as Buttons that when clicked are hiding and showing check marks over the top to make them look like checkboxes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Correct. The boxes are smart shapes that when clicked show ticks to make them look like check boxes, as per the screenshot provided.

The 'faux checkboxes' are also recorded and included in quiz.

My concern is that naturally this means that more interactions are on the slide, which may cause the eLearning to mark the completion button as incorrect.

It doesn't make sense to me why captivate would act this way, but I'd love any guidance you can provide to solve this issue.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not really see why the check marks need to be also set to be included in the quiz.  The Smart Shape boxes that get clicked should be set to report to the quiz.  But if you make the check marks reportable buttons as well, then they would also need to be clicked in order to report scores and achieve 100% completion.  That would not make sense.  The checkmarks are really just there to indicate that they have clicked the Smart Shape buttons.  So only the buttons need to be reporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checkmarks are included in quiz so that they can be reported to the LMS. We need evidence that employees have clicked on them.

However the requirement is to obtain a certain number of points - and I haven't included the points associated with the faux checkboxes in the 'completion criteria' - just the points associated with the confirmation buttons.

Regardless of checkboxes or no checkboxes, my concern is that a smart shape included in the quiz is being marked as incorrect when it shouldn't be.

There are other interactions on the page alongside the smart shape.

Any potential solutions or changes that I could make to fix this would be great.

Thanks so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you isolate which Smart Shape button on the slide is not being marked Success even when clicked?  It may be a corrupted object and should be replaced.

If so, then delete that object and insert a new one.  Check whether the new Smart Shape button also shows the same behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In my experience basing  completion on achieving points is a riskier solution than awarding completion based on a passing percentage of the overall available points.

It's also more work to maintain because any slight change to the number of reportable objects or their given points will potentially throw out the completion.  Passing percentage always remains the same regardless of the number of objects reporting to the quiz.

That's why I advised NOT for objects that are only decorative (like the checkmarks) NOT to have a score OR be reporting to the quiz.  If you have both the Smart Shape buttons AND their checkmarks reporting scores, then Captivate doesn't differentiate between which objects are getting clicked.  It's only listening to whether or not points are being reported from anything.  So it would be potentially possible for a learner to get a double score on one check box object because they also somehow clicked on the checkmark as well.  Then they might NOT click on another Smart Shape and it would get marked as incorrect, but the number of points scored would appear to be enough to pass.

It's your call but I do NOT see why the check marks should be buttons at all.  They should only be smart shapes.

Another alternative approach is to set up each of the Smart Shape Checkboxes with a custom state (e.g. Selected) that shows a check mark inside the box and then use the action of clicking on the Smart Shape button to change its state to this Selected state.  That way there is only really ONE object to be clicked and one score involved for each such object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources