• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Button not appearing in preview or when published!

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a nightmare - I have a button set in the timeline to appear after 116 seconds, but it doesn't appear. If I play the timeline in the project window, the button appears as it should, but when I preview the module it doesn't appear and if I publish the module it also doesn't appear. Without it, users cannot advance! I have another module that as far as I can tell is set up exactly the same and it works. Help!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Play slide is NOT a preview method, should only be used for editing (like synchronising objects with audio). Playing it will NEVER be close to the real output because a lot is not happening. It is too confusing to have that option under the Preview button, but my protest has never been heard.

If it doesn't play as expected with Preview HTML in Browser (F11) I suspect the usual Timeline misunderstanding. Can you post a screenshot of the complete timeline, please,. Complete both vertically and horizontally.

http://blog.lilybiri.com/pausing-captivates-timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you somuch for your help! here is a screenshot:

IntraQuestKaren_0-1591201891147.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fluid Boxes project.

Timeline is NOT complete... it doesn't start at frame 0. I can barely see that you do have an interactive object which should be the Image outside of the fluid box, and it looks like it is pausing the slide because I see the mentioning ' nactive part'.  Anything happening after that pausing point will have to wait until the playhead is released. Have no idea when that will happen. It is the reason that the other Image which is probably also marked as being a button will never appear until the playhead is released. 

One of the stumbling blocks for most users, shouting in the desert that each basic training should focus on the understanding of the Timeline, but trainers mostly ignore me... I already posted a link to the most important blog I wrote about the Timeline, but there are many more...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I have the slide set to 'continue' on enter, the playhead should automatically play and the button apear at the time i specify? Should i mention that there is a video that autoplays as oon as you enter the slide as well. The plan is that the next button should appear a couple of seconds before the video ends...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at all.. please read first that blog post. 

Since the video is IN a fluid box, it is an event video. Event videos play independently of Captivate's timeline, you don't even have to extend the timeline for its duration. Event video is controlled by an individual control panel. The only way to detect the end of the video is by using JS to set up an eventhandler for the end of the video, and let the button appear when that event happens.

If you used a slide without fluid boxes, you can use slide video (set it up with the Position Properties, and in that case it is perfectly possible to time the button to appear just before the end of the video. But still in that case you need to MOVE THE PAUSING POINT of that first image (which is outside of the fluid box, don't know why). Some items are not paused by the pausing point... Reason why I posted that link, which you didn't yet visit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hadn’t even noticed the pause point in the other image. Removed and now all working perfectly! I knew it would be something so simple - I’m a new user, so still becoming familiar - it’s a learning curve! Thanks so much for your help 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please, read that blog... You will bump onto similar issues if you do not understand pauses and pausing point(s (which are different).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources