• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Captivate accept an unlisted Youtube video link?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to build a course that will be deployed on a microsite (independent of an LMS). I'd like to have the slides made as a series of short videos, but there are performance concerns if they are put in the course as Progressive Downloads. If I use my company's Youtube account, can I use videos set to Unlisted? I tried a test from my personal Youtube and got an error message from Captivate saying the video needed to be public. This is just not acceptable for the course as it has proprietary information. What are the limitations of Captivate and Youtube links?

TOPICS
Audio and video

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The obstacle here is that you cannot include the username/password in your course to access the video.

Can you host your videos somewhere else than youtube? If it kept internally, how about SharePoint or any other sever you have?

Can you confirm the version of your software and operating system?

How do you insert your videos on the slides?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the current build of Captivate 2019 (11.5.1.499) and I'm on Windows 10.

I'm working on gaining access to my company's Youtube account, I just did another test using my personal Youtube and I WAS able to get an unlisted video to load, and it seems to still work even after I've logged out, so that's promising, but I worry about the reliability of that. The audience for this course is people outside our organization, who may be on all kind of internet connections/operating systems, which is why I need to avoid Progressive Download.

Because the audience is external, the company Sharepoint isn't an option, and apparently neither is Vimeo (no budget for a paid account). I tried embedding as a Web Object from JW Player, and while this works the interface is very clunky from a user perspective and I'm having trouble getting slide-to-slide navigation to work properly.

I've tested the main methods of embedding video: Interactive Video Slide (my preference), normal Slide Video, and Web Object, and using Captivate's built in Playbar vs. back/next buttons. I'm trying to work out what combination, if any, is going to work. My last option will be to build out slides the traditional way, which won't look as cool (I'm currently animating each slide in After Effects and exporting as an mp4).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the videos belong to your company, are you able to get the raw video file from Marketing or whoever might be holding that and drop it into Captivate directly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually the one making the videos, and of course I can put them directly in Captivate, the issue is how well the videos will load and play for the user once it's out in the world on a website. Shorter ones are only 4mb, but some of the longer ones with more content are running 50-60mb! They're hanging up for me testing the course, I can only imagine what they'd do for a user on a slower connection 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi - You can embed unlisted videos but you have to check the "Allow embedding" under more options in your YouTube settings (just tried this and it worked ...whew!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources