Highlighted

Can Captivate generate new txt files based on variable strings?

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are creating a preformance support system that gathers information from the user (turns variables on and off) and then give tailored recommendations throughout the environment accordingly (turns screen elements on and off). I am asking if Captivate handle custom variables, customized interface elements based on the variables, and the ability to create/export new documents that include text strings based on the variables. 

Specifically: If the user has indicated that s/he needs X, Y, and Z in one area of the program, then:

(a) icons or words in several other areas of the program appear which help the user see issues related to X, Y, or Z; and

(b) when clicking on a “create” button, a custom file could be generated with rtf text strings based on the presence of X, Y, and Z, respectively. This file could then be exported to a word processor for further editing.

My question: Can Captivate do this?

Thanks in advance for thinking along!

Topics

Advanced, Advanced actions, Branching, Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can Captivate generate new txt files based on variable strings?

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are creating a preformance support system that gathers information from the user (turns variables on and off) and then give tailored recommendations throughout the environment accordingly (turns screen elements on and off). I am asking if Captivate handle custom variables, customized interface elements based on the variables, and the ability to create/export new documents that include text strings based on the variables. 

Specifically: If the user has indicated that s/he needs X, Y, and Z in one area of the program, then:

(a) icons or words in several other areas of the program appear which help the user see issues related to X, Y, or Z; and

(b) when clicking on a “create” button, a custom file could be generated with rtf text strings based on the presence of X, Y, and Z, respectively. This file could then be exported to a word processor for further editing.

My question: Can Captivate do this?

Thanks in advance for thinking along!

Topics

Advanced, Advanced actions, Branching, Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 09, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate can handle some elements of what you describe, but not all.

For example, you can set up custom user variables in Captivate and have users assign values to those variables via Text Entry Boxes (TEBs).  The variable values can then be displayed in text objects (captions) or Smart Shapes.

Variables can be used in Conditional Advanced Actions to HIDE or SHOW objects in other areas of the learning content.  This can also be done by setting up custom Object States and just changing the current state via Conditional Advanced Actions.

Captivate does not currently have functionality to allow users to click a button and create a separate file that contains the values of these variables.  You would need to engage the services of a JavaScript programmer to achieve that part.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2019 0
Lilybiri LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also associate a custom variable with several learning interactions to capture input from the learner: Scrolling Text Interaction (for text), radiobuttons interaction (for choices), checkboxes interaction (for multiple choices) etc...

You didn't mention if you want to do this in a non-responsive or a fluid boxes responsive project. In the second scenario I strongly recommend to replace Show/Hide acions by using states as Rod points out. I had two blogs in the eLearning community comparing the two workflows, but for some reason they disappeared.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2019 0