• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I force a published module to open in a new window?

Participant ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a course with CP 2019 that will have 4 modules, each a separate CP file. The published output will be HTML5, non-responsive, and will be accessed from a Chrome web page (rather than an LMS). Is there a setting that will force a module to open in a new browser window, as opposed to opening in a tab in an existing window?

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

You can configure the link that calls the HTML page of the Captivate content so that it will try to open a new window (https://www.w3schools.com/jsref/met_win_open.asp) but whether or not it opens an entirely new browser window or just another tab in their existing browser window is controlled by the end user's browser settings, not by the Captivate content.   And on mobiles you don't really have any control at all over this because the browser usually occupies the entire viewport anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can configure the link that calls the HTML page of the Captivate content so that it will try to open a new window (https://www.w3schools.com/jsref/met_win_open.asp) but whether or not it opens an entirely new browser window or just another tab in their existing browser window is controlled by the end user's browser settings, not by the Captivate content.   And on mobiles you don't really have any control at all over this because the browser usually occupies the entire viewport anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information. Here's a somewhat related question, which I'll ask you before I post it to the Captivate community: I'm going to put links in the modules that open other modules in the course. Is there a way to create a link that can open a module and jump to a particular slide or section in that module? If not, I'll just include instructions with the link telling the learner to use the TOC in the other module to find the referenced section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since your project output will reside on a web server and will not be a SCORM reporting to an LMS the answer is that YES you can put links in the content that would open other modules.  By default the links can only open the index.html file of the other module.  To then have the module jump to a slide within that content you would need to use custom JavaScript code. 

Captivate doesn't provide any default method of doing this with its own interactivity based on User Variables and Advanced Actions.  Most people that I have heard of doing what you are asking about have put a search parameter on the end of the calling link (e.g something like index.html?slide=10) and then have Javascript functions built into the other module that check the incoming link for such data and act on it.

I would suggest you create another thread with this question and wait for someone to reply and give you their code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! I will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources