• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I have a custom retake quiz button on the result slide

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a module in Captivate 2019 where I want 3 different scenarios to happen after the learner takes the quiz. I have built the advance action to show different messages for my 3 scenarios to appear on the Results slide, which are Pass, Retake and Coaching.

The problem is, for the Coaching slide, I don’t want the Retake Quiz button to appear because I want to direct the learner to get further coaching before doing the quiz again. However, in order for that to happen, I need a custom Retake Quiz button, but that doesn’t seem to be working. I have used a shape as a button called Retake Quiz and it’s set to Jump to the first Question slide, I even tried the option of Return to quiz, but nothing works. The only way I can get a proper retake is if I leave the embedded Retake Quiz button. Which would be fine, but then it appears on my Coaching results option, which is right as it’s a fail, I just don’t want it there. From what I can find, there is no way to program an advanced action to hide the embedded Retake Quiz button, I can only hide a button I make myself, but that button then doesn’t take them to the start of the quiz, it simply does nothing, yet a button on any other regular slide does what I program, just not on the Results slide.

Any suggestions to achieve what I want, which is a Results slide that shows a Pass message, Retake message with Retake button and a Coaching message with no Retake button?

TOPICS
Advanced actions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

If your Conditional Advanced Action that does the calculation is triggered On Slide Enter of the Quiz Results slide then it could immediately jump to the slide AFTER the Quiz Results slide that gives them instructions to get coaching.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you see my recent blog:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/retake-quiz-tweaks

I will not repeat everything what I wrote here.

You need to use the Retake button to start a new attempt on quiz level, and to reset all answers. But maybe my solution will give you an idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link to the blog post, but to be honest, all of that is above me and I am not sure how I can apply that to my situation. Sorry, I know you're just trying to help, but I honestly don't know where to begin. I understand advanced actions to a point, but not at the level you're describing in your blog post. 

When you say the Retake button is used to start a new attempt and reset all answers, are you then saying I must use the default Retake quiz button and I can't create my own button? Because that's really want I need to know. If I can't use my own button and must use the default Retake quiz button. But if I can use my own and simply need to program it, I am not sure what exactly I need to program in order for it to reset the quiz slides, that's where my knowledge of advanced actions shows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to learn the basics of the default Quiz... Sorry to be honest.

You need to use the Retake button because it has InBuilt functionality, and there is no editable action linked to that button. The only actions on the score slide are those linked with the Continue button (which are under Pass/fail) and you can use the On Enter event of that score slide to create a custom action as I did in that blog post. An alternative to reset answers and start a new attempt is to navigate to a slide after the score slide (that is why it can be hidden). I didn't mention that because you insist to have the score slide visible

Indeed, thought you had mastered the design of the Default quiz/score slides. My mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I typically just leave the default for the Results slide, never needing to use any advanced actions. If I used Advanced Actions On Enter, it was to show a different message depending on their score, which I have done and that is working.

My issue is that for the Coaching scenario, where they have indeed failed the quiz, I don't want them to see the Retake button, I want them to close out of the course and seek coaching from someone. For this scenario, I don't know what I need to program in my Advanced Action On Enter to not show the Retake Quiz button or if that's even possible, as I have looked to see if I can Hide it or Disable it, but I can't actually select the Retake Quiz button from any drop-down to tell it to perform an action with that button...at least not that I can see. 

Sorry if I am not being clear, but I simply need to know if there is as way to hide/disable the Retake Quiz button on the Results slide for a certain scenario, like only 2 questions out of 5 were answered correctly? 

I have attached some screen shots of my Advanced actions On Enter, showing what I have programed for the Coaching scenario I am referring to. 

I have ensured that my Advanced action is selected for both pass/fail and set to show the Retake button, as I do need it for the Retake scenario. And then on the Results slide, this same Advanced Action is set to execute On Enter. 

Quiz_passfail.png

My advanced action for the Coaching scenario currently looks like this and is working, I just need to find a way to hide/disable the Retake Quiz button when the person has only gotten 2 questions out of 5 correct. 

Coachingaction.png

Does that help clarify what I am asking? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are trying to do here, but...if your learner has failed the quiz and has no more attempts allowed (e.g. you allowed two attempts and they have failed both attempts) then you don't need to worry about hiding the Retake Quiz button because it won't appear anyway.   All that will be visible on the Quiz Results slide will be the Continue button and the Review Quiz button (if you selected that option in Quiz Settings).

When the learner clicks the Continue button they will move past the Quiz Results slide and as they do then the actions you specified in the If Failing Grade settings will be invoked.  Your slide spelling out what they need to do in order to get coaching should be positioned AFTER the Quiz Results slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On their 1st attempt if they only get 2 out of 5 questions correct I want to show them the coaching scenario which is a message saying go to see their manager for coaching and I don't want the retake quiz button to appear as I don't want them to retake the quiz even if it's just their first attempt. 

However if they get 3 out of 5 questions right, I want them to see the retake scenario which asks them to retake the quiz, so the retake quiz button will appear which is why I have the 2 attempts selected so I can have the retake quiz button. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cut me off before I could finishing typing.

You saying to post the instructions AFTER  the results slide has me thinking. If they only get 2 out of 5 right, can I direct them to another slide that isn't the Results slide and skip them seeing the Results slide all together? I had thought about using 3 different slides for each scenario but thought I had to use the Results slide, but maybe I can bypass it for this Coaching scenario? Would that work? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your Conditional Advanced Action that does the calculation is triggered On Slide Enter of the Quiz Results slide then it could immediately jump to the slide AFTER the Quiz Results slide that gives them instructions to get coaching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod! I will try this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod, that worked perfectly!!! It took me to my new coaching slide and allows the module to stay as in progress on LMS and the leaner can come back to take it again after they received further coaching!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad it helped.  That's the great thing about an active User Forum.  There's usually more than one way of looking at a problem and more than one way to solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I already told before you can use the On Enter action of the Score slide. I know you don't want to read, but several of your questions prove that having some better insight in the setup of the default quiz and score slides would avoid a lot of frustrations.

Only my personal opinion of course. Here are two links:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/secret-of-hidden-score-slide

You can get rid of the default score slide and set up a custom score slide to your wishes (have blogs about that as well) but you need to understand the importance of that score slide, even if it is hidden.

The Retake button as many other objects on the quiz and score slide is 'embedded', which  means it has no individual timeline and no ID. Result: you cannot treat it like a normal button, Hide/Show and Enable/Disable are impossible. There are tweaks possible, but - again - only after you understand the basic setup:

Quiz Tweaks 5: Results slide - eLearning (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did read what you sent, but didn't find it helped in my situation. I know we can create our own results slide, I have done that in the past with an older version, but with our LMS it was advised we not do that. I will look at the new reference material you sent to see if that helps. But first I will try Rod's suggestion of advancing those to a coaching slide instead and see if that will do the trick as that's exactly what I want, leave the results slide to do what it's meant to do and simply direct those few learners to another message...I wanted to achieve this in the simplest way possible without having to code in so many advanced actions. 

Thanks to both of you for replying. Much appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources