• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I supply a Lynda.com-like transcript?

Engaged ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lynda.com has this nice feature allowing you to choose to display a transcript of the lesson. It even highlights the words currently being spoken, as shown in this screen shot:

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 9.01.24 AM.png

What's really nice is you can choose to hide it if you find it annoying.

Is it possible to do something similar in Captivate?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Closed Captioning is a good functionality in Captivate. It has been r"efurbished in CP2017. Use slide notes: one for each sentence in the audio. From the slide notes panel it is easy to go to the CC management (also indicated as Speech management.

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would take some serious JavaScript to achieve that.

I's possible, and I have done something similar as far a pulling the CC out, but it would be a chore to format the text and then find out which caption is being shown to highlight it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can live without the highlighting and auto-updating of the current text. What about the possibility of simply showing the text for a particular slide, but with the option of the user being able to hide it if they find it annoying?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is wrong with CC and a CC toggle button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was not aware that feature existed (I am a newbie).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closed Captioning is a good functionality in Captivate. It has been r"efurbished in CP2017. Use slide notes: one for each sentence in the audio. From the slide notes panel it is easy to go to the CC management (also indicated as Speech management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean that the slide creator only has control of the CC? I want the user to be able to turn it on or off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't tell that, just told how to create the CC.

If you use a default playbar you can have the CC toggle button on that playbar. As developer since CP2017 you can decide if CC is automatically turned on or off when the course starts, but the learner can use that toggle button to verride that decision.

It is also possible to create a custom CC toggle button. This blog may be bit over your head at thsi moment,but it explains how to use one shared action to create 5 different toggle buttons, one of them being the CC button:

1 action = 5 Toggle Buttons - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources