Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't enable some buttons with actions

Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a quiz set up with some logic to show, hide, enable or disable various buttons on the slide. There is a reset button that resets all the variables and enables all the buttons that should be enabled for the first question. However even though the reset button's advanced action says for example "enable Q1A", button Q1A does not seem to be enabled. The rollover effect using object states for the button works, but clicking the button does nothing.

Can anyone suggest anything obvious that could be going wrong? The fact the states work makes me wonder if the button is actually enabled but there is something else stopping it performing it's action. The button is set to allow infinite attempts.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be some other setting in the module that is blocking the action the button is supposed to execute.

For example, if the button is a Back button but you have Backward Movement disabled in the quiz settings then clicking the button would achieve nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply! To test if this is the case we added a second button to the slide which calls the action the problem button is meant to call. The new button executes the action correctly while the disabled(?) one does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Well that blows the theory that there is some other setting in Captivate that is interfering with the action. There are two other possible explanations I can think of. One is that the button object has become corrupted and needs to be replaced. You can easily test this by pointing your Advanced Action at the extra button you just added to test my first idea. However, buttons don't usually corrupt in Captivate projects very often. Which means the MOST likely reason for your issue is that you have a logic error in your Advanced Action. You need to go back and look carefully at the way the conditions are set up. You may find that the button action cannot work because the setup of the Action itself prevents that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again - copy+pasting the button seems to have fixed the problem. I assume this means the actual button was corrupted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yep. Looks like it. Try to avoid copying and pasting or duplicating buttons too much if you are working on responsive projects. For some reason I tend to find the buttons get linked and share actions when they should not. Your problem however was somewhat different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources