• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Web Object be hidden?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2013 Oct 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to show a window with text on the same page as a Web Object. The text window appears with a button click. However, the Web Object is always on top. Is there a way to hide the Web Object temporarily, or, make it so it is not always on top?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 01, 2013 Oct 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can setup a simple advanced action to the button that triggers the text window. It will be something like:

ShowHideWebObject.png

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried exactly that. However, when published, the Web Object never becomes hidden. I even tried it on a new, blank plroject. The button and Advanced Action will not hide the Web Object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checked it out and it was perfectly possible to have a text container (made it transparent, only text) on top of a web object, and have a (shape) button that makes it appear. Can you check the Timeline: is the text on this slide and is it on top of the Web ojbect widget?

webobject.PNG

And what do you mean by 'temporarily' hiding the web object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this. It looks like the text is on top while working in Captivate, but when it's published the Web Object is always on top. And doing an Advanced Action will not hide the Web Object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I guess I am able to make the Web Object disappear - sometimes. If the Web Object is calling a regular web site it will disappear just fine. However, my Web Object is calling a web page that I have made in Adobe Edge Animate and resides locally within the same folder as my project. Should that make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is interesting, webobject should be meant for real webpages, not for something locally. I didn't even try to use it for that... something that is not on a webserver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only reason I am doing this is because my project has several videos in it. It will be mostly used on iPads. Captivate, so far, does not provide any kind of controller bar for videos when published as HTML5. So, people can't pause, adjust volume, make full-screen, etc. This is ridiculous. So, I insert a video within an Edge document, publish it, and then use a Web Object to play the web page with the video. Then it has a controller bar. But it needs to reside within the project folder for the client's hosting convenience.

Whoever is in charge of Captivate should understand that iPads and Android devices are here to stay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh - I guess the whole hiding a Web Object issue wouldn't be an issue for me if the Web Object didn't have to be on top of all the other content of the slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And whoever develops HTML5 and creates all kind of devices... it would be much easier if they created and respected one standard... has always been the biggest problem (Betamax - VHS debacle in the past is known history). You have to be aware that HTML5 is not yet capable of all what could be done easily in Flash, and moreover whereas Flash was a standard (no worries about browsers, devices), that is not the case at all with HTML5 on the multitude of devices, browsers that are around now. Think that you really underestimate what that means.. just my 2 cents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I underestimate it. What I do see is other applications being able to do some of the things Captivate is so far unable to do. Like show a simple video controller in HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Sorry for writing on this post after 3 years and more, but I got the same problem. I have a web object on a slide and a button that should show / hide the web object (plus some other elements), but it does not work, it shows and hides all the other elements, but the web object stays always visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i am encountering the same problem. I want to hide the webobject when someone goes back to the page. But cannot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this by creating same slides with different web objects so instead of show hide, I have to jump to other slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response! I've also since discovered that show and hide does work for web objects! But you need to hide upon entering another frame, because by hiding when you enter the one that its embedded in, it doesn't work, because the page has already loaded when you enter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help, I've been trying to show/hide a web object with no success. How did you achieve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure that user is still around on the forums since the thread is pretty old.

From what is written I understand that you need to hide the webobject from ANOTHER slide than the one it is residing on. You can use a button on a previous slide, or the On Enter slide event to hide the webobject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I would need a little more context on this one.

I can place a web object on stage and hide it with a button and a simple hide command from the same slide just fine.

At least it functions fine in preview...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources