• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you reset quiz answers to allow for retakes?

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lesson that has "informal" quiz questions during a practice section (click boxes) and 2 "formal" T/F questions.  If the learner gets one or both of the questions wrong, I want to allow them to retake the quiz and get credit for the new answers.  As it is when I go back to the quiz (Jump to Slide) the previous answers are there and I can't change the answer or use the submit button.

Is there a way to reset just the "formal" quiz questions?

Thanks,

Rachel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please verify if you are referring to Captivate or some other application, so this question can be moved to the appropriate forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are indeed talking about Captivate, Jump to slide will not do the trick at all.

You have to allow multiple attempts on Quiz Level (Quiz, Preferences, Pass Fail) and have the Retake button shown up. Only clicking on that Retake button will clear the answers of a previous attempt. You don't tell which score has been attributed to the question slides (T/F)? If it is the default 10points, you'll have a total score of 20pts, and have to set the pass percentage to 50% if answering one of the two questions is sufficient for Success.

Please, tell also which version you are using when posting a question? In Captivate 9 there were enhancements to Quizzes, maybe you could have used Knowledge Check slides for the not-formal questions. Read more about question and quiz design in these blog posts:

Question Question Slides in Captivate - Captivate blog

Question Question Slides - Part 2 - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following javascript will reset the quiz in Captivate:

cp.resetQuizData();

(set it to run in the current window)

You can create a button "Try Again" to launch an advanced action that runs that javascript and jump them to the desired slide (quiz intro, first page of the course, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for this suggestion.

Unfortunately, when I tried it, it didn't reset the quiz. I have a button at the end of the course that, up until now, simply jumped to the first slide. I set up an advanced action that executes the javascript code you suggested, then jumps to the first slide. I published as html5 and uploaded to the moodle site we use for testing. The jump worked, but the questions retained their state from the first try.

Is there an additional source of information on using javascript in Captivate. I found this article, which I find totally incomprehensible:

Learn about the Common JavaScript interface for Adobe Captivate

THIS IS ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: After finding a few more suggestions to use the same code, I decided to do a more thorough test. I'm using Captivate 2017.

Scenario 1: Go through all questions. Click Continue on results screen. Click Replay on last screen.

Result: quiz questions are all reset.

Scenario 2 (The one I followed that lead me to conclude the code doesn't work): Go through all questions. Click Review button on results screen. Click Continue when you get back to results screen. Click Replay on the last screen.

Result: quiz questions are all shown as not being answered. It's as if the course is still in Review mode but any answers that were previously answered were cleared.

It appears that the javascript command cp.resetQuizData() does, in fact, clear the quiz data. What isn't being cleared is the variable that's set when you review the quiz results. Any suggestions on how to clear that variable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it is an old question, but maybe in the future it will help people like me,

who are looking for solutions, where standard captivate methods don't help.

These two strings reset Quiz:

m = cp.movie.playbackController.GetQuizController();
    m.SetIsQuizCompleted(false);
It is used, when answered questions are particularly right, Quiz marked as complete,
but there is a reason to make a better answer.
Normally in that case attempts are ignored by the quiz controller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the code, IU'm just dumbfounded on how to add this to my course. Is there a screen you can show me, or an example you can share so I can copy the code in the right screens? I'm just lost here and need to reset the quiz so my learner can retake the course. 
Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old thread... lot has changed, SWF output is gone completely. Moverover I have not seen that user on the forum since several years.

Please start a new thread,. Explain your problem and don't forget to mention the exact version you are using. The full version number can be found under Help, About Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri, excuse me I answered in this thread directly, because I don't know, is this question anywhere. Of course we can move to other thread, if needed. Have a nice day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Veram!

To allow multiple attempts to quiz questions we need to set Infinite answers in quiz settings. Then we add a button to the quiz result slide with an action JumpToSlide N, where N is a slide number before the quiz. So we can start the quiz from zero, but number of attempts is calculated anyway.

Those my old codes I used in a hybrid assessment to control the quiz using java script. Usually we don't need such crazy solutions. I'm not very active here, because I solved required questions, but I use the Captivate regularly and try to assist you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was trying to explain that you should not add answers or questions to a thread that was valid for older versions.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources