• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open any CPTX files. Captivate 2019

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upon trying to open any CPTX file I was able to open with no issues, I can no longer open any files. Prior to uninstalling and reinstalling the Captivate, I was not able to open a blank project - I can now open a blank project. 

Please see error below that I have already seen as I know it is not helpful given this has been brought up in prior posts and is displayed for many different issues. I have plenty of space on my computer, I save files to my computer that are also loaded and pulled down from a server. I also save files to and from SharePoint. All of what I do has never been an issue prior to today. 

I have cleared my cache folder/files, I was on version 11.5.5 and ran the update. Since this update, I am still having the same issues and unable to open or work with any CPTX files. 

Any help would be appreciated. I have been on hold for an hour on the corporate support line. I will say, I have typically gotten through relatively quickly in the past and the assistance was always successful.   

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021
I FINALLY got through to Adobe. The product team is actively working on this as this is an entire system wide issue. Adobe plans to have this issue resolved within 24hours. I asked for some sort of notification, alert or message and that is not something they do.

I would highly suggest if Captivate is currently working for you to not close it and save your work right now and often!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Sorry, my apologies. I had seen 2011, my eyes are tired.

You are using a rather old, unpatched version of CP2019. The most recent, supported version (yours is not supported anymore) is 11.5.5.553 for Windows. Is it possible to update? Maybe the project you want to open was created with one of the releases under 11.5. It is not possible to open such a project with a lower version (11.0)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Check for updates and ensure you are signed into your adobe account to receive updates from Adobe from when this issue originally ocurred. Also, ensure you have closed everything and restarted your computer. 

As a last resort, call Adobe support to ensure there may not be another larger system error. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for performing this update and for letting the group know it worked for you. I hope this is helpful for someone in the future as well! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this same error on my Windows 10 machine for some files. This has not happened before. Know the files with problems have been saved on a mac. On my Windows 11 machine the very same files open fine. Hope the team will adress this asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Captivate version is 11.5.5 - I have plenty of  harddrive space and memory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check with the Mac user which specific version of Captivate 2019 they are using.  If you cannot open files they have edited, and you are on 11.5.5, then I would be willing to bet your Mac user is on Captivate 11.8.  The Mac user would be able to open your files, because Captivte is BACKWARD compatible.  But you cannot open their files because Captivate is not FORWARD compatible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip. But it would make sense to notify me of that when "check for updates" notifies me that I have the latest version and there is no mention of this in the error message either so I have to go to a forum to figure it out. Wow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely understand your frustration but I am just a user like you.

Problem is that 11.5.5 was the last version allowing a perpetual license, whereas 11.8 is available only as subscription license. That makes it to be diplomatic 'complicated'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for the info!! I have now uninstalled 11.5.5 as I have to be on the same version as the mac users. However when I went to download 11.8 firstly the windows link in the document below is broken, secondly when I read "How to download this build it's saying I will get the build soon?

I kinda need it now, and how  did I get it on my Windows 11 machine - guess the check for updates button actually works there?

https://helpx.adobe.com/no/captivate/release-note/adobe-captivate-11-8-release-notes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suspect that the Mac user is on 11.8, not compatible with your 11.5 version. I would not recommend to update to 11.8 on your system because it seems to have more bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip Lilybirir!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so apparently to get 11.8 ( which is pretty difficult to figure out that you need in the first place - see error message above + no information that this exists from check for updates button in the software ) I have to uninstall Captivate then download the trial ( preferrably in incognito mode ) and reinstall. Pretty topsy turvy if you ask me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feeling sorry again, although I just tried ot help you. Beware: from several thread on this forum I learned that this version is rather buggy. My decision was to keep with the more stable 11.5.5.553. Hope you are lucky!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help Lilybiri, definitely didn't want to make you feel sorry so my apologies for that. It's the Adobe team that I'm venting at if anyone are listening. Not only do we have to deal with this nutso way of getting an update but to not be able to keep the old version at the same time could put users in a precarious situation. Luckily I have been using 11.8 on windows 11 for a while without knowing and have had no issues. That said we're not really using all that many actual Captivate tools in our Captivate productions - it's mostly Javascript based

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not apologize, I know that ranting can help and didn't feel insulted personally. I am just sad about what you are complaining about which could be much more user friendly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources