Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 10: Text not showing after including quiz slides

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

my project is not showing any text after I included a quiz slide. It shows the boxes for the text, but not the text itself. It neither shows the text in the open project nor in the sidebar nor in HTML 5. I used a blank project, not any template. I already deleted the cache. I also tried to copy everything into a new project. That worked until I again included quiz slides. Any ideas on how to include a quiz without loosing the text?

Kind regards,

Luise

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Forgot, you are a newbie. Themes you are working with are stored in the folder Layouts, which is in Public Documents\Adobe\eLearning assets. That folder is a duplicate of the original folder which is in the installation folder of Captivate. If you delete the duplicate Layouts folder in the Public documents, while CP is closed, restarting CP will result in having a fresh new duplicate folder with all the original themes. You can also just replace one theme, in your case the Blank theme, from the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a normal situation at all. Can you check the version number, should be 10.0.1.285. Which OS?

Which theme are you using? Did you edit/customize that theme?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what I thought, too! Sorry for beginner question, but where can I find the version number?

I customized a theme in a blank project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Help, About Captivate.

Save a backup copy, then try to apply another theme. I suspect something is wrong with your customized theme. Do you know which components are in a theme?

What's in a Theme - a Template? - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I am having Version 10.0.0.192 on Windows. Is the version a problem?

I customized the colours, object styles and master slides in a blank theme.

I tried to use another theme, a blank one and also one with colours, but I am experiencing the same problem. No text showing.

Thanks for taking the time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never had that particular issue, not even with the first release but would update unless you have problems with AutoPlay being turned off even for desktop.

Do you run Captivate as Administrator if you are on Win? You could try to restore the original themes (take first a backup of your custom theme) to see if the problem occurs again on a new project? Where did you save the custom theme?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot, you are a newbie. Themes you are working with are stored in the folder Layouts, which is in Public Documents\Adobe\eLearning assets. That folder is a duplicate of the original folder which is in the installation folder of Captivate. If you delete the duplicate Layouts folder in the Public documents, while CP is closed, restarting CP will result in having a fresh new duplicate folder with all the original themes. You can also just replace one theme, in your case the Blank theme, from the original folder in Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also a Win user. I am not the admin. I have to talk to IT for updating the version and also for restoring the original them, but that may take some time. 

But I tried several themes. I just do not understand why that could be the problem?

I am already thinking about customizing my own quiz slides. Maybe that will prevent the text going missing? I saw something on your blog I think...;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had edited my answer, because I overlooked your being a Win user.

You don't need to be an admininstrator to refresh the themes as I explained in a later answer.

You really need to run Captivate as administrator, which doesn't  mean you need full admin rights, only this one.

There must be a reason for your bug. How did you test: since it is a non-responsive project, for HTML output you should only use F11, Preview HTML in Browser. All other Preview methods use a temporary SWF at this moment in non-responsive projects and there may differences in output.

Of course you can use custom quiz slide, but there is no reason whatsoever to have your experience. Is CP installed on your system, not on a networked drive? Do the paths in Preferences point to folders on your system?

You can also try to clear the Cache and to clean Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I do not find the eLeanring
Assets folder in my public documents. I only have the themes in the programms
folder.

CP is installed on my
system on the C Drive. But I need adminstration rights to access that.

I test in HTML 5.

I traced the inclusion of the quiz slides back to the point where the text is going missing and found it: When I
change the multiple Choice question settings from 2 answering options to 4
answering options. When I closed the project after that and opened it again,
the text was missing.

How can that possible be a
theme issue?

Kind regards,

Luise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All slides are based on a master slide, and master slides are part of the theme. If you do not have the Layouts folder in Public Documents\Adobe\eLearning Assets, something is seriously wrong with your setup. Since you told that you already cleared the Preferences and the Cache, I was looking for possible other corrupted folders which are not touched by the Clean Preferences. One of them is the Layouts folder (themes) in Public Documents. I already have answered the same to lot of users, and restoring the themes helped them. Of course you never have to believe me, whcih seems to be the case 'How can that possible be a theme issue'? Because the Quizzing Master slides are very important, and part of themes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Captivate 2017 on a Windows 10 system for an English user the Themes are found here:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Adobe\eLearning Assets\Layouts\10_0\en_US

Each theme has a CPTM file ending.

Check your system.  Do you see CPTM files in that folder I gave you above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I am sorry I was looking in the wrong folder. I have found the german templates in the folder you described, Ron. But I used the english blank template. That maybe part of the problem?

@ Lilybiri: It is not a matter of not believing but rather desperately not understanding why it does not work. I was hoping for another solution then changing the themes in the theme folder. Being a beginner it took me a while to ammend the theme the way I wanted it with object styles and layout. And if I messed up the theme somehow, do I get my old theme back in a way that it is working?

And I did not clear the preferences yet. Almost afraid to ask, but how do I do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The english templates are not in the folder in the public documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The actual folder location will change slightly according to the language of your system.  So if you are on a German system you would find something different to an English user.  In the directory path I gave you the en_US at the end is because I am on an English OS.  Your mileage may vary.

However the main thing to remember is that the Themes found in this location are actually just copies of the Themes found down inside the Captivate install directory at:  C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 2017 x64\Gallery\Layouts\10_0\en_US  (again this is for an English system).

Captivate must have at least a minimum set of Themes in order to operate. So if by some accident you DID happen to destroy or delete all of the Themes in your user profile directory, at least some of these would be automatically replaced by Captivate next time it boots up.

As for clearing the Preferences, just navigate to this folder:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 2017 x64\utils

And double-click the file there called CleanPreferencesWind.bat

However, if you do not have access to that directory, you may need to get your IT people to do it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works! I can see text after including a multiple choice quiz slide and changing the settings to four answers

After I found the folder I copied the original english templates from the C Drive. I opened the project with a blank theme first and then applied the design I saved. Really almost remained as it was, except that no it is working again!

So thank you very much for your help @Lillybiri and @Rod!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great! My Captivate intuition proved correct again. One of the less known troubleshooting tips, besides Cleaning Preferences and clearing cache.  I always recommend to avoid saving custom themes in that folder in Public documents, to avoid losing customisation when having to restore the original themes.

BTW even less common is corruption of the Interactions which are also in that same Public documents folder and can be recovered in the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources