• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 17 Click Box/Action Issue

New Here ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m developing a course that operates as a game, with a game board, a number of click boxes, advanced actions, and variables.

My issue is this:

If the user clicks ANYWHERE on the primary slide (containing the game board and numerous click boxes), the course jumps to one of the randomized question slides (which is the action that each click box is supposed to run). I cannot figure out why there would be any action when a user doesn’t click on a click box? I’ve tried a number of settings and can’t get it to work. I only want the action to run when users click on click boxes.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm the most recent version of Captivate is 11.0.1.266. Are you talking about the previous version 10.0.1.265 which is also indicated as CP2017 because it was released just before 2017?

How many attempts do you have for the click boxes? If you have a limited number, each interactive object has two events: Success and Failure.  Maybe I don't understand your question well

"I cannot figure out why there would be any action when a user doesn’t click on a click box?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - it's version 10.0.0.192

Thank you for your help! I tried infinite attempts on some click boxes on the slide but not all. When I set them ALL to infinite attempts it works as designed.

I don't really understand the mechanics behind that but I suppose I don't need to as long as I have it working the way I want!

I appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would encourage you to try to understand the mechanics of Captivate's interactivity, even if you think you don't need to.  Captivate's interactivity is EVENT-based.  That means that every action has to be triggered by some kind of event.

What Lieve was pointing out to you was that each interactive object has more than one event.  The Success event for a button or Click Box happens when the user clicks the object.  However, if the object is set to have a limited number of attempts, and the user reaches that limit, then the object will also usually fire another event that can be used to trigger actions.  This is sometimes referred to as a FAILURE event but is usually more correctly referred to as an ON LAST ATTEMPT event.

Understanding how EVENTS trigger ACTIONS, and what events are available for each interactive object in Captivate is essential for being able to create engaging and fully functional e-learning.  If you don't understand these basic concepts then you will always struggle with any e-learning authoring tool, not just Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a blog post about Events in Captivate with a downloadable table explaining each event. Maybe you could have a look.

Importance of Captivate's Events? - eLearning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rod is correct. If a clickbox is NOT set to infinite attempts, then the last attempt (failure in Captivate-speak) will cause some other action to happen. If you do not want to use infinite attempts, set the Last Attempt to No action (last in the dropdown list). The result will be the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources