Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 2017 - CC font size problem

Participant ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

My CC settings do not display the font size. No matter what size I set, it´s always displayed in 7px - way too small! Is it a bug or is there a workaround?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are on 10.0.1.285?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I´m still on 10.0.0.192. I must admit that I´m not very fond of updating now, because I heard about the dismissed video autoplay and as I work for a customer which starts every training with a corporate video, the missing autoplay will be a severe problem - same as with CC font site 😉  But as it seems, we will work with on of these two problems, at least as long as I do not get to a solution ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you can tell the client that, unless they require that the lerrners continue to use old versions of browsers, Autoplay will be disabled by the browsers in a very near future. This is just the reality, not depending on Captivate.

Cannot help you, I don't have your version anymore on my systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Lilybiri,

I guess there is no need to discuss the autoplay thing, even if browsers might disable it with upcoming versions, my experience with customers and companies shows that it will take a loooong time for all users to get an update. Until then old browsers will be in use and in mho there´s no need for Captivate to hurry ahaead and implement the disabling of autoplay.

Nevertheless, thanks anyway for always replying so fast! Love that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dialog in the Skin Editor for setting the CC text size is a little unintuitive.

There's a drop-down list near the top of all the settings which defaults to the number of the current slide.  It seems that the designer of this dialog was assuming (for who knows why) that you would want to set the CC font size for each slide differently.  If you look right at the top of the drop down list you will see that there is an option called Project.  Before you make any changes, first set this list to Project so that the changes will apply across all slides in the project, and THEN make your changes below.

If you feel (as I do) that this default is crazy, please log an enhancement request.  (The UI designers of Captivate, wonderful talented people though they are, do no build elearning courses for a living.  They need your input.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Rod,

I´ve seen this option/dropdown, but useless which setting, font size is always 7 px ...

But good point in giving an enhancement request! I´ll do that! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Lieve pointed out, this font-sizing issue could also be due to not being on the very latest build of Cp 2017.  But then you also run into that issue with the AutoPlay.  Nothing is ever as simple as we would like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beginning with Adobe Captivate 2017, Closed Captioning uses font scaling. In other words, when there is too much text to display in the space allocated for the closed captioning, it reduces the font size down until it either hits that minimum font size or until the amount of text fits within the space. What I do is that I divide up my closed captioning into one sentence segments and mark them on the Closed Captioning timeline when the next sentence begins. This keeps the amount of text to a minimum and ensures that my selected font size is used instead of the minimum 7 pts.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great Paul, thank you very much! This was the problem at all - I had too much text 😉 Never thought of Captivate scaling CC ... Now I´ve divided the text in two chunks and my font settings are fine 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources