• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 2017 closed captions on/off not announced to screen reader

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a custom toggle using cpCmndCC that has alt text on it. The button is announced. But the 508 folks are saying I also need to announce whether the captions are on or off. Does anyone know how to do this, or even if it's possible?

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never heard of this as an accessibility requirement.  Could you please ask the '508 people' to give you a reference in the standard where this is stipulated?  Sometimes the testers seem to be inordinately focused on making sure something does NOT pass accessibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Rod, but to appease your testers...

Create 2 buttons instead of a toggle. That way you can have explicit accessibility tags to say what the buttons do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I understand that 'disabled' is a very broad term and encompasses many different levels and types of disabilities.

But Closed Captions aren't going to be much help to a blind user, and deaf users wouldn't hear the announcement that captions are turned on.  So who is this requirement designed to assist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources