Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 2017 hyperlinks in Text Caption don't work

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a responsive project using fluid boxes in Captivate 2017

Text within a fluid box that contains a hyperlink is formatted as a hyperlink (blue, underlined) but is not clickable in the output.

A button with the same URL correctly opens the page in a new tab.

Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Kevin, I don't usually use hyperlinks in text but I just tried this myself and it worked perfectly fine. I tried it with text in a text caption and a smart shape. Can you tell me what steps you're taking to create this?

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you test please? Only in Preview or also after publishing and uploading to a webserver or LMS? Since the same URL can be opened with a button,

I would like to test, wonder if the problem is due to the requirement of normal fluid boxes never to have stacked objects. Such a hyperlink could be considered as being a 'click box' (not supported) over a text. If the text is in a normal fluid box, could you try to convert it to a static one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested by publishing then opening index.html with browser, not uploaded to web server. The links tend to be to academic papers in the format (author, year). Does having a comma and a space in the hyperlinked text matter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested it again with a local XAMPP web server and makes no difference. Hyperlinks presented as expected but not clickable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. I noticed that when I add only link to the text box it works fine. If I add one more line with text before or after the hyperlink, it becomes unclickable. In my case, I couldn't click on the hyperlink, but when I moved the cursor where the text ends, the hand cursor appears and I could get to the linked page. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is maybe a related but a bit different problem which also appears in normal projects: if you select more than one word for the hyperlink, often the hyperlink itself will be limited to one, random, word. I didn't have that experience in previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar behaviour just seen. Tracking vertically down about 1/4 of  a view below the hyperlink the cursor changes and I could then click through to the linked page. Remains displaced by the same proportion when resize the window to be narrower. Only seems to affect link names that have spaces in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having this issue in version 11.5.0.476. Hyperlinks are visible in the output, but can only be clicked on by mousing over the underline. We are using fluid boxes as described above, with a caption box and hyperlinked text.

We do a lot of referencing and linking out to additional resources, so it would be useful if there was a simple solution to this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upgrade to 11.5.1.499 and test again? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now updated to 11.5.1.466 and published the project to our LMS. Still having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your current project may be corrupted.  I would suggest you create a new responsive test project with just one or two slides and set up hyperlinks in slide objects on that project.  Do you see the same behaviour on a totally different project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've run a few more tests. It seems to be happening when there is other text present in the caption box, which is being held within a fluid box. The hyperlink displays fine on a slide where only the hyperlinked text is displayed sitting on it's own, not very useful.

For background, this is now happening across my two active development project, one is made up of 6 different captivate projects and the other is a singular captivate project. I'm going to recommend to client that we remove hyperlinks where we can for now, but this seems like a bug to me.

Can anyone else test it to confirm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An additional test. If I make the fluid box static, the hyperlinks work as they should again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That would confirm one of my first suspicions in a comment: that a hyperlink is sort of stacking a click box over one word, which is impossible in a normal fluid box but is possible in a static fluid box. Why it works when the full text container (I never use captions, always shapes) is a hyperlink, cannot find a reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources