Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 2017 on Mac OS 10.13.5 High Sierra

Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Some questions (and observations) on installing Captivate 2017 on a Mac running 10.13.5 High Sierra if I may?

I downloaded and installed Captivate 2017 from the Adobe website this morning and only after talking to Support realised the first thing I had to do was to update it!

Surely it should have downloaded and installed the latest/current version in the installation package?

Also as is typical of other Adobe programs installing a single application in this instance Captivate 2017 results in scattering multiple folders & files across my Applications folder;

Folder: Adobe Application Manager (Other) containing adobe_licensing_helper

Folder: Adobe (Other) containing MultiSCOPackager

Folder: Adobe Captivate 2017 (Other) containing CPDeviceCapture, FakeFlash, AdobeCaptivateReviewer 2017

Applications: Aggregator, Adobe Captivate QuizResultsAnalyzer9, Adobe Captivate & VideoPublisher

In addition Captivate then wants to install Java if I want to use the "java" command line tool although this is not listed on the Adobe website as a requirement whereas Flash is if I want to view Multimedia content and when I run Captivate Quiz Results Analyzer 9 it wants to install/upgrade Adobe Air.

My Macs have been happily Flash & Java free for years and I have no wish to open up this can of worms if there might be another way?

On top of all that when I check Activity Monitor I see the following the following 11 processes running;

Adobe Application Manager

Adobe Captivate

Adobe CEF Helper

Adobe CEF Helper

Adobe Desktop Service

Adobe Installer

AdobeCaptivateWS

AdobeCRDaemon

AdobeCRDaemon

AdobeCRDaemon

AdobeIPCBroker

There was also Adobe CCXProcess that has recently been installed as part of my CC package that has also just appeared in my Applications folder.

Is all this really necessary in this day & age?

Why not just drop these in a folder called Adobe Captivate keeping things tidy instead of scattering them all over the place?

Its why I stopped using Adobe Photoshop & Premiere some years ago as between them they scattered 13 spurious apps across my Applications folder.

<whine mode off>

I guess I am asking if;

1. Do I need to install Java if I do not want to run the command line tool - not knowing if this is an essential part of Captivate?

2. Do I need to install Flash?

The reason for asking is when I run Captivate, click on From Powerpoint and choose my .pptx it appears to load 37 of 37 slides but then the window completely locks up accepting no input forcing me to Force Quit Captivate.

Thanks in advance for any help & advice going forward.

Kind regards,

-=Glyn=-

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's an essential part of Captivate.  You do need to install the Java package that comes with your Captivate installation files.

This is just a user forum.  If you have an issue with the way Adobe apps are designed to install or work, we cannot really help you with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to reply Rob.

I think I'll give Captivate a miss on the Mac...now to see how to uninstall that lot!

Thanks & kind regards,

-=Glyn=-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glyn,

Good luck uninstalling.  I think, in my opinion,  it might be easier wiping your hard drive and starting fresh. 

Good luck to you!

KHAN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources