• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 2017 to 2019 - Will Not Update

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else having issues updating from Captivate 2017 to 2019? With every update Captivate always says that I am up to date and will not proceed. I have to go through the process of downloading the new software as a trial each time. This has been the advice of support too, it seems kind of ridiculous to have to download a trial to get an update. Team members have also been told the same thing from support. Does anyone have insight on this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cp 2019 is not an update to Cp 2017.  It's a completely separate installation.  That's why you are being told your Cp 2017 is up to date. n They can run side by side on the same machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod!

Is this version of Captivate part of the subscription service?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a subscription, then you can download it and install it at no extra cost.  Just make sure you are logged in with your Adobe ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod,

I have it installed now. My issue is that it didn't give me an option to download the 2019 version when I was viewing my account, I had to download a trial version and then sign in. This workflow is odd, but this has been the recommended process from Adobe support in the past. I hope they will change this.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is one possible reason for this workflow: you can keep one older version, while an update (which is used for patches) will replace the older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lieve is correct.  This workflow makes perfect sense when you understand that Captivate has never offered the ability to publish out to earlier version formats.  So, if you were working as a contract e-learning developer (which many of us are) and you might need to work for clients that were on different versions of Captivate internal to their organisation, then being able to run any one of several different Captivate versions yourself makes a lot of sense.

I have other software tools on my computer that also work this way too.  It's not the way all software apps work, but I doubt that Adobe has any intention of changing it right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the need to have the old version of Captivate to modify existing courses,  my issue is with the poor workflow to get the new version. Why should an existing customer have to sign up for a trial, for something they are already subscribed to receive? It makes no sense.

What would make sense is to have a link or button within my Adobe account to get the new version or a link or button inside of Captivate to download the new version as a standalone install. Having to sign up as a trial user is a poor workflow.

I see they added a pop up upon opening Captivate, a few days after I posted this question, which appeared to lead them down this path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I have a subscription for Cp2017 and want to download the 2019 version and have both versions on my laptop, would I be charged the cost of TWO subscriptions each month?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you will only be charged for you current subscription

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can have two versions installed with the same license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources