Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 2017 Word Search: Answer Clues

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've created a Word Search in Captivate with 7 questions. No matter what I do, the answer clues are cut off, and the user is unable to see the full list of questions when scrolling. I've tried shorter questions, removing questions, changing the text size, changing the puzzle size, different templates, checking and unchecking the "scale text for responsive projects" option.

Thanks for your help! Jen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshots would help us see the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a redacted screen shot. There are 7 questions, but only 6.5 are displaying, and I'm at the bottom of the scroll bar. Thank you!

Answer Clues.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is probably because your answer clues cannot exceed a given number of characters.  It's probably not all that generous.  These Learning Interactions are quite limited in most respects and not customisable at all.

What happens if you reduce your answer clue text considerably?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod! It seems as I reduce questions, text size, etc. The Answer Clue text elongates and unfortunately still gets cut off. I'm surprised this doesn't work better. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks so much, Jen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are testing this out by first publishing to HTML5 and then viewing in a web server environment are you?  Testing these learning interactions from just within Captivate never gives you a good idea of what they will look like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Yes, I'm publishing with HTML5 and posting to an LMS (Learning Management System) server.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again Rod!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I can think of would be that there is something about the text of either your chosen words or their clues that is fouling up the code of the widget.  Since whatever you enter into these learning interactions ends up coming out as HTML / CSS / JavaScript (otherwise known as HTML5) then anything which looks like computer code can sometimes foul up the display.

I suggest you remove everything from the equation to simplify the problem and work from there to debug it.

Open a new blank project, insert a new Learning Interaction with no words or cluse, and then test that this one displays correctly.  If it does, start adding your words and clues in small groups, testing all the time to see whether the issue reoccurs.  If you can prove that it is NOT related to the words and clues, then it is possible that either the learning interaction in your main project or even the entire project itself has become corrupted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi There,

The answer clues can only be on one line. When you create the word search and click generate and an answer clue extends to a second line, that's the problem. Unfortunately, you will have to use few characters for each answer clue for it to correctly display all seven word choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources