• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 2019 11.5 Branching View Broken? (Affecting Course Completion)

New Here ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Captivate 11.5.4.613 - This is currently up to date.

Background

I have button on slide that runs an Advanced Action. When certain conditions are met, the action will jump to a slide. On other pages, a very similar button exists that, when certain conditions are met, will go to the next slide. My problem persists in both of those cases.

Problem

The Branching View interface  (Window > Branching View) is not picking up the continuity between the slides and frequently shows the targeted go-to slides as unlinked, even though the button should be linking.

Attempted Solutions
In an attempt to force the Branching View to link the slides, I've taken to doing any / all of the following:

• Put an explicit go-to-next-slide button on the slide (Properties > Actions > On Succes: Go to the next slide) with the following:
    • Properties > Timing > No pause
    • Properties > Not visible in output (and nothing on the page ever shows this new NEXT button, because, you know, I don't want an explict NEXT button).
  • In the Branching View, select the last slide in the line and change its Action (success) setting from the default setting of No Action to Go to the next slide ~ or ~ Jump to slide.
  • Skip around the Filmstrip and come back to the problematic slide, then check the Branching View again.
  • Give the thing a few minutes to see if it just needs time.
  • Save the project.

Sometimes I get it the slides to link up, sometimes not.

Problematic Effects

This is affecting completions in the LMS, because I have the xAPI settings (File > Publish Settings > Quiz > Reporting > Completion Criteria and Success Criteria) set to give completion for the project on Slide Views (always the same). Typically I set this to the slide number of a Course Summary slide, but then I noticed that the LMS would not give a completion even though, in testing, I reach the critical slide.

Looking at the Branching View, that slide is unlinked.

For example: I have 10 slides in the course, I want to use Slide Views to award completion on Slide 9. No completion is giving in testing. I look at the Branching View and only slides 1 - 7 are linked, slides 8, 9, and 10 are unlinked.

I believe Captivate believes that the learner does not visit slides 8, 9, or 10 and so does not award completion. If and when I can get the branching fixed, or else revise my Slide Views downward to a slide that is visibly linked, then I can get a course completion on slide views.

Is the Branching View broken? Oh, by the way, at least one other person seems to think it may be > https://blog.iconlogic.com/weblog/2019/07/adobe-captivate-2019-115-branching-view-broken.html

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Branching view is totally useless if you do create branching with advanced actions. That has always been the case since advanced actions appeared over 10 years aog. Only simple navigation commands will be visible.  For that reason I don't use it anymore.  Something else is that opening the Branching views seems to lead to other issues.

Before setting up complicated navigation I will lay out a flowchard (by hand or digitally). 

I don't understand why you are looking for fixing an almost useless panel?  I remember having complained about the fact that navigation due to advanced actions was not showing ... 10 years ago.  Answer was that Branching view was not meant to show that way of navigation which only appeared later. It is sort of a legacy remainder, like there are some more.

I have created many complicated branching projects for lot of clients, never really missed the Branching view. Important is the functionality of the project, which can be tested, and my preparatory setup flow chart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources