• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 2019 360 video super slow on server

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm testing out using 360 video in the demo of Captivate 2019 and I've loaded my published VR project onto a server for testing. The videos play super slowly, and even stall after 5-10 seconds.

My video files are over 100 MB, so I'm sure that has something to do with the issue, but I would think the player would preload the files. Has anyone had these kinds of issues too?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm watching videos supplied to me by Adobe and I am experiencing what you are describing.

Up until now I assumed it was because I have a crappy laptop and wifi connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having same problem. It seems like Captivate AR is not ready for show time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2018 Sep 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks both for responding. I'd like to hear from Adobe on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 23, 2018 Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you play the videos from your server, directly, outside of the project?

Do they perform the same way?

Video is bandwidth-intensive, especially large files. If the server does not actively support video streaming, your video only plays at the speed the download can handle.

Flash had a decent preload system. HTML does not yet (that i'm aware of). You're going to be pretty dependent on bandwidth and server capabilities for any decent performance.

(this is not any sort of official Adobe response )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They actually play a bit better on their own than in the Captivate player. One issue I notice with the Captivate player is that, if there is a hiccup in the video, the timeline still plays. So even if the user waits for the video to catch up, the timeline will finish before the video does, unless they manually hit the pause button.

Does Captivate VR support streaming video files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Adobe has improved Captivate's built-in support for streaming since moving away from Flash Video. There's a discussion here from a couple years ago but that was limited to (iirc) FLV.

More recently when I've needed streaming video in a CP project, I've used the Web Object to load the actual video URL from our streaming server...but yeah, the timeline is still not interlaced with the performance at all. If the video pauses, the timeline has no idea and keeps playing. Fortunately, with the streaming server, such interruptions are rare.

You could try a similar approach by possibly uploading the video to a private YouTube channel and use CP's YouTube widget and see if performance is at least better...but that won't resolve the lack of sync between it and the CP timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest compressing your videos down a bit more. One SUPER easy way to do this is to upload them to Vimeo, then download the compressed version they create. Vimeo has the BEST video compression settings I have ever witnessed - and they're consistently great visual quality AND an awesome size reduction.

Here is a decent example from my own account. Original size is at the bottom, their version is just above that (1280X720)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

360Video on VImeo????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YESSS!!! Are you my personal troll or what? Seriously, do you listen to yourself before you write stuff down? Or is this some hazing ritual for "n00bs" like me?

HTML5 online video player with 4K HD quality from Vimeo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great, thanks for the information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources