• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 2019 and Chrome freeze, not loading a project

Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having this issue with Captivate and Chrome 73.0.3683.86 (Official Build) (64-bit).

The course will freeze on loading (published in SCORM):

freeze1.jpg

or load an empty background and stop (reporting disabled):

freeze2.jpg

At the same time it works in IE, Firefox, and when uploaded online it also starts working in Chrome too. It only affects launching in Chrome locally. Has anyone encountered anything like this?

TOPICS
Advanced , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the same output works when uploaded to an LMS or web server then the issue is just due to restrictions placed on the content by your browser when played locally.  This can happen due to security settings in the browsers because stricter security measures are always being implemented by browser manufacturers.

I have seen issues where Chrome believes the SCORM content is trying to launch a popup window and the security settings in the browser prevent this, so everything grinds to a halt.  If you work in an organisation where the IT department prevents you from relaxing the browser security then you would be pretty much unable to use Chrome in this situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply! Agreed it's something local and I narrowed it down to Chrome only. The same content works in IE and Firefox, but gets stuck while loading in Chrome or the background graphics displays and freezes. It happens both with SCORM and reporting disabled, regardless of any publish settings combination. I applied all the past fixes for deprecated functions in JS that caused problems with Chrome a few years ago, but nothing seems to help. It's pretty frustrating for local testing and when sending someone a package for a quick review when most people use Chrome these days. Interestingly, the same courses used to work in Chrome locally, so my guess is there was some browser update meanwhile. Do your courses work in the newest Chrome locally?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they do.  I am using Chrome version 73.  But I am only publishing to HTML5.  Are you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, same here. HTML5 only.

I'm trying to narrow it down further and was launching random, older courses in Chrome. And interestingly some of them work, but only published in any SCORM. With reporting disabled, they are stuck on a forever-loading screen too. Now I'm hunting for any exclusive objects/code in the courses that won't launch, but they are in the same template and so far they look identical. I would blame it on some random corruption, but when I upload them to the LMS, they work again.

Here's what Chrome console says when launching an HTML5 course with reporting disabled. There are no .png files in the /dr folder, but that's the case for the courses that work too.

err.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2019 Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those errors are usually associated with JSON not being enabled on your web server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2019 Apr 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have very similar problems - my SCORMs html5 courses, generated from CP 2019.0.1 and placed at Moodle, loads in Chrome randomly correct or freezes ,,forever". So after I close popup window and relauch course, then it loaded quick an correctly. It happens on my desktop, tablet or mobile devices.

I tried to republish, resign-in, restart... No success. This is frustrated situation, because mymy commerci clients asks me, what they can do. For any help, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same problem as Yarik. When I open the SCORM activity in Moodle for the first time, many times it freezes in the spinning wheel. It usually works when I reload... Any idea of what can be happening and possible solutions? Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem. I can view my html5 course on IE, however it freezes forever on Chrome, Edge and FireFox. Any ideas of what the issue may be? I have contacted the Adobe Captivate tech support line as well as my internal help desk, and no one has any idea of what to check for/how to resolve this issue. Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you check your version number under Help, About Captivate?

Did you view the project after uploading to a webserver or with Preview HTML in Browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Captivate 2019 version 11.5.1.499

The Preview HTML works fine in Chrome. The issue comes up when I upload to a webserver. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please update to 11.5.5.553. You missed an important patch. Not sure it will solve the problem which seems to be linked to the webserver since the Preview is working on Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the prompt response. I'll give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are able to Preview as HTML5 on your own PC in Chrome or Edge, then the issue is not with the web browsers.

Is there any chance you may be still publishing to both SWF as well as HTML5?  If you are dual publishing then the SWF content will be selected by default, not the HTML5.  In many organisations that still have IE on their system it is still able to view Flash/SWF content, while Chrome or Edge will not support SWF.  So, to eliminate this as a possible reason for the issue when you upload to your LMS, go into your Publish settings and confirm that ONLY the HTML5 output is selected.  If it is, then ONLY the HTML5 button in the Publish dialog should look depressed.

PublishForHTML5.png

If you can confirm that the content uploaded to the LMS server is only HTML5, then I would suggest you check with the LMS server administrator to find out whether the server is configured to allow JSON files.  You won't have any problem playing JSON files in Captivate's iutput when viewing it on your local system using the Preview as HTML option because it uses a temporary localhost server and allows JSON.  But unless your LMS server allows JSON you will just see a spinning icon and no playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the explanation. I only have HTML5 output selected. I will check with my server team regarding the JSON setting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! My server team added the following to the httpd.conf to support json files:
AddType application/json .json

However, I'm still getting the spinning icon and no playback. Any other ideas of what we may be missing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A few suggestions:

Hopefully your server guys also thought to restart the server after changing the config.  The settings may not take effect without a restart.  I've seen people on this forum say changing the config had no effect and then a day or so later the SCORM 'suddenly' started working fine.

To test whether this issue is your CPTX or the LMS, upload the same SCORM to SCORM Cloud online LMS and see if it does the same thing there.  If it does not, then your LMS is to blame.

Try testing whether this issue affects only this one slide or all CPTX projects you create.  You can do this by creating a new blank CPTX file that has just one True/False quiz question added.  Set it up and publish to the same SCORM version as your problem file, then upload to test on your LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources