• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 2019 - Cache Folders, Project Files, Backup Files... what's what?

Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings from Chicago!

I've inherited a mess and I'm hoping someone can help me get on the path to cleaning it up.

Multiple Captivate 2019 projects, created by multiple users, saved in multiple locations (some redundant).

I have found literally 100's of folders, all with CPD prefixes (i.e. CPD1be5f5c61da44180ad23c41bec5ec768) but I don't know what projects they are related or if they are even necessary.

Can I delete these folders?

If I re-save each individual project to a central location, will these folders be recreated?

Thanks everyone!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Those folders that begin with the CPD prefix are the cached versions of a Captivate CPTX project file.  They are created whenever you open up a CPTX file and do some editing.

Although the cached folders are not usually needed after a project is concluded, if you lose the CPTX file and are in desperate straits to resurrect it, there is a way to recreate the CPTX from the last cached folder of that particular project.

So, before you go and delete any of these cache folder, you need to first work out whether or not you have all of the original CPTX files for these projects.  If not, then you need to find out whether or not one of the cache folders will help.  Unfortunately there's no easy way to tell which cache folders belong to which project. Adobe had a little app called DCache that allowed you to browse the cache folders and see what the original project name was.  You might be wise to do some Googling for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources