• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 2019 - Forced navigation (with multistate slide)

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - my first post! Hopefully I'm clear in my question...

Can I have two forced navigations (using the multistate slide feature in 2019, i.e., with NO Advanced Actions) within one course? 

My first forced navigation works perfectly. My second doesn't. I noticed when creating my "next" button on the second instance that Captivate wouldn't allow the duplicate name "content_completed" - so I had to name it "content_completed_2". Is that my issue? If so, what is the best practice?

Thanks! Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each item in Captivate needs a unique name. Basic but very important. Are you new to Captivate?

You can have a Next button which is timed for the restof the project. In that case only one name is needed as identification. You can hide and show the button to your wishes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! I appreciate that. My understanding of the forced navigation in 2019 (using slides titled multistate) is that the naming convention is important, so I thought perhaps that was the issue in the forced navigation not working.

I will trouble shoot other issues with my slide; however, I did want to ensure that multiple forced navigation slides (using multistate) is possible. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/captivate/using/create-branching-forced-navigation.html#forced

...and I just realized my error with the ms_content portion of the forced navigation. I solved my own problem. Again thanks! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Naming is always important, not only for that simple branched example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am pleased someone has got this forced navigation to work using these naming conventions. It just does not work for me. I have followed the naming convention to the letter and it dies not work.

Would you have any advice?

Thanks

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Spelling counts Gary. For example, in your post you misspelled does as dies. That sort of mistake will prevent your interaction from working. This is so much about the precise naming of objects. I had to write it out in my own words to keep it straight.

1. Label your slide - multistate
  2. Label your multistate object - ms_[multistate object name]
  3. Label your buttons - [multistate object name]_[object state name]
  4. Label your hidden "Next" button - [multistate object name]_completed

Trust me when I say that exact spelling and capitalization counts. I always use lower case everything to make sure. It's sometimes easier to write an advanced action if that's what you're used to.

So for example, if I was creating one of these using the keyword impacts and my multi-state object contained the normal state plus step01, step02, step03 and step04, my slide would be called multistate, my multi-state object would be called ms_impacts and my buttons would be called impacts_step01 and so on, and my next button would be called impacts_completed.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources