• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate (2019 release) on macOS Big Sur (macOS 11)

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: We've released an early build for Big Sur that fixes the issues that Captivate users are facing. For more details, read this post

Does Captivate work on Big Sur?

Adobe Captivate (2019 release) is NOT COMPATIBLE with Big Sur.

If you launch Captivate (2019 release) on macOS Big Sur (macOS 11), the project editor becomes unusable.

We are working on making Captivate (2019 release) to be compatible with Big Sur. 

Meanwhile, you can review the current system requirements for Captivate.

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 158 Replies 158
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It deels like Captivate is no longer a priority application for Adobe. Its seems to be going the same way as Adobe Director. No major updates in a few years with just a few fixes while the other rival applications are advancing faster. It badly needs a features update and a UI overhaul to make it more user friendly. Our organisation now only keeps Captivate to manage and review legacy content created in Captivate and over 500 of our developers now use another application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please let us know what app you’re using? With 500 developers you’re the ones to know if it works.

Zbigniew
iMac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We switched to Articulate 360. We use either Storyline or Rise depnding on the need and the knowledge of the developers etc. Mac users use Articulte 360 through VMware. Articulte will soon be releasing updates to support 360 panaormas and video with more options than the Captivate version so it is also useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! We'll consider switching to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have worked with Captivate in all of it's iterations over the years, long before Adobe owned it, going back to the RoboDemo versions. I am thoroughly disappointed in this parlticular failure and I don't blame this on Adobe alone. Clearly Mac OS developers have some part of the problem. But I do feel as a loyal user and promoter of Captivate over the years that I am finally being forced to give up and start using another app. My entire team of over 50 will be moving away from Captivate and toward Storyline. You have shown that you don't care at all that we have not had Captivate working since November of 2020--approaching 4 months now. Yeah, you have an early build, but the amount of confusion I would have to manage is more than I care for.

So disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboDemo certainly was not on Mac.

Did you miss the certified build of 12 February?

Update for Mac Users - Adobe Captivate 2019 Build for macOS Big Sur (macOS 11) is here! - eLearning

StoryLine on Mac? Using Parallels? Or using only the web-based Rise?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course RoboDemo was not on a Mac. I work on more than one OS.

And yes, I did "miss" the update. I got no word, there is no update within the app, as we are a corporate account with multiple users I usually get notified of an update, which did not come. So yeah, glad there's an update.

How is it that I did not get notified? I use a whole bunch of Adobe apps on Mac OS and Windows and not a single word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I did know about this. It is the pre-released version. I saw nothing about this being the official release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I am just a user, trying to help other users. You cannot blame me for lack of support by Adobe. 

There must be a reason why Articulate has no native Mac version of their tools, probably due to what happens with each update of Mac OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the frustation; and there is a copy for Big Sur, and yes it does work and not the easiest to find. Most likely due to the fact that Adobe doesnt like to air their dirty laundry about their lack of the Swift programming language. But I will say this is all Adobe not Mac. Mac delivers their Beta SDKs (Software Development Kits) more than enought time so companies can stay on top of the ever growing technology. Adobe is a big fish in the big pond of Development and Design; they should have had a operational version on mac before release, shame on them for their bad agile practices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree.. back in the day when you paid for software, one off fee, well then you were on your own, not great, but there you go. If you canged OS, well then you take the risk. Adobes products are now licensed on a monthy or yearly fee. All of the Creative Suite products managed the transition without major problem., they had a few, but they were was fixed quickly. You cannot charge a monthly fee and not be up to date with operating systems the world has changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI Captivate is NOT in the Creative Cloud and has still a perpetual license besides the subscription license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I have the subscrition licence, pay monthly...

Shouldn't Adobe stop sending me invoices till they fix the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not entirely true. It is true that there is a subscription and perpetual license. And I have one of each---a personal license and a company license (which is perpetual though usually called "fewderated"). And though Captivate is treated like a separate license, the license is managed through the Creative Cloud login. When I'm logged into the Creative Cloud my license is valid. If I log out, I am required to log into the Creative Cloud, regardless of the kind of license I have. I suspect that one of these days Captivate will be listed with other apps in the Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You call me a liar? Thanks! Here are the facts:

• Captivate is NOT part of the Creative Cloud
  • Captivate install/updates are NOT managed by the CC manager.
  • Activation of a perpetual license is done by a serial number, for a subscription license by the Adobe ID. Neither needs the CC manager.
  • You need the CC manager app because Captivate allows you to use Adobe fonts.

Do NOT expect Captivate to be part of the CC even in the future. It is not the only application outside of the Creative bunch. Same for Framemaker, RoboHelp, Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont think anybody is calling anybody liars.. Its just a matter of perception.

In my view, if I am paying for a product. I expect that product to work.

I personally have both CC and Captivate licences, the reason that they are being compared is because the CC Team managed to have new versions ready at BigSur roll out and the Captivate team took several months. 

Yes we have a 'working' version for Big Sur now, although a bit buggy [If I copy and paste it crashes, I use duplicate so no big deal], it just took way too long. I had several projects that were put on hold, this cost my organisation a lot.

Captivate is not a cheap product, so I think it reasonable that, at the very least, subscribers be forewarned of incompatibilities if a new Mac OS release is comming out. Developers know this months in advance, and I cant be expected to go and check every single application to see if there might be an issue. Captivate is literally the only software that didnt work after upgrading to Big Sur and I have a lot of software.

I just think that the Captivate team should take on board the positive criticism and learn from this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, Captivate is not a part of CC (every month I get two separate invoices, so I'm sure it isn't). But let's all agree that:

1. Captivate should be compatible with Big Sur months ago, and it's a shame that it wasn't.

2. Adobe should warn the users that Captivate won't work with Big Sur, so they shouldn't update their system (e.g. just a line in an e-mail accompanying every invoice).

3. Since Captivate cannot be used with Big Sur Adobe should stop sending invoices to the users until they fix it (it's my company that pays, and for it the expense is unnoticeable, but it's not about the money, it's about principles, about a basic business honesty).

The rest, I think, is open to discussions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slight correction.  Acrobat Pro is part of Creative Cloud.

CC_apps.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled Captivate and installed the new build but it is asking for a serial number. I went through this before and it took days to get it resolved. The work around was so convoluted. I have a monthly subscription to Captivate and they don't give you a serial number. I don't understand why they do this. I went through this two years ago and here I am again. Does anyone know how I can bypass this serial number and activate it with my Adobe account, which must know I have been paying for this thing? Thanks all! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a valid subscription license all that you need to do is make sure you are logged in with your Adobe ID when using Captivate.  Once logged in, Captivate should be able to see your license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After several months, had to open a project in captivate that i really needed to change and retrive content from. Still can't use captivate on my Mac. Yes, I downloaded the update. Makes absolutley no difference, when loading projects, the main captivate window still becomes invisible.  
Ecvery other piece of Adobe software I use on creative cloud, no problem. Captivate - total disaster.

I have now begun telling our vendors that we will no longer purchase work done in captivate due to problems with alterations and changes and costs associated with this. So not only won't we be using it, our multiple vendors won't be now either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased Capitvate to create 360 tours for my students. I am running MacOS Big Sur 11.4 on a 16" MacBook Pro.

Compared to the Adobe Creative Suite, Capitvate does not feel like a modern Adobe app. It also does not seem to be functioning as I can't add hotspots or preview. When I exported a project just for testing, the images would not render.

So in short, it does not seem to be working on Big Sur, and it looks like I just wasted a bunch on money on a clunky and useless piece of software. Adobe should be embarrassed to put their name on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried also to get it to work in Big Sur and it does not load. Their customer support just sent me the link to download the version I had already loaded. Sad but I will have to stop using Captivate. My feeling (with no data) is they are not really interested in supporting it. There have been no major upgrades in a long time. I have 100 projects which I cannot update. I cancelled my subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your Mac have the M1 chip... if it  does I dont think it will work Im afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate is outdated and antiqauted now. It even still supports excporting to Flash. It has not had any update in 2 years at this stage. Most of our vendors now use Articulate Storyline as it is the preferred application. We switched over 300 of our own designers to Articulate a year ago. We keep captivat purely as a legacy app for any old courses that might need updating or changing but we are now rebuilding them in Storyline. I am a Beta tester for Articulate and Storyline it has a far superior 360 tour support coming with far more options and functions that Captivates basic attempt. Also the full blown 360 tour application 3DVista supports Scorm output, but its completion criteria is simple, but it works. I have said before that Captivate is going the way of Adobe Director. If Adobe were serious about it it would be kept up to date. They spent their money on Substance Designer and Painter it seems.....For the fan boys who keep using the excuse " Oh the delays simply means the next updated will be awsome" it is not accpetable or an excuse in todays environment. Should we sit and tiddle our thrumbs waiting for this awsome mystical update? If it is, then at least Adobe should be keeping us informed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources