I have a SCORM 1.2 training that has a lot of branching, but on the LMS the score reported by the LMS is hard to get over 40% even though I know I should be at 100%
About my training:
It actually has no quiz. I have multiple objects on each slide with Actions - Reporting - Include in quiz - 1 Point - Add to Total. On a single slide I may have 4 objects reporting that change the state of an object on the same slide. I have other objects reporting that have an action "Jump to slide."
This means that a single slide may have 4 or 5 objects a user will need to click for a passing grade. It is setup more as a completion than a quiz.
In the LMS I will go through the training and click everything and still only get a score of 40% but sometimes it might be 38%. Because of the branching, I may not always click on objects in the same order each time.
I have the LMS set to "Send Data On Every Slide." Does this mean that if I click on an object with an action "Jump to slide," it doesn't report everything done on that slide because the timeline was not completed?
If there is the possibility that the learner might not see all slides in your project due to branching, you may need to enable Branch Aware.
This will ensure that users are not marked incorrectly for slides they don't navigate to.
No, this is not due to the SCORM setting.
Please, explain more clearly what you want to achieve. Check the Advanced Interaction panel, it is able to show you not only most actions (object actions in D&D not) but also all scored objects and the total score. More info:
If Branch Aware in Quiz Preferences, Setting is NOT activated (which would prevent navigation by playbar and by TOC), several quizzing system variables have a fixed value. That is the case for cpQuizInfoTotalProjectPoints. If you have 5 scored objects on a slide, but only one is clicked, the learner will only get the score for that one click, not for the 4 remaining clicks. That is the reason why I ask for clarification: what do you want to achieve, and why do you need that score.
I appreciate your response. I have gone through the Advanced interaction panel to make sure nothing was hiding. I don't feel like branch aware is what I am looking for either.
The training is for an electronic system where a user can click on components learn about it on a slide and freely navigate in and out of other parts of the system. Other branches should not be left out of the overall score. I want to use the TOC so the user can navigate directly to something specific. Almost like a virtual tour of a system without a 3D view. I use visited states on all reported objects so users can see if they have view the material.
The score a user has will will only be an indicator of how much material they have viewed and have not viewed. I have gone through and clicked on everything myself and only scored 40%.
I changed it to report points instead of score and it fixed the issue.
You mean points instead of percentage. That may be fine for now, but some LMSs don't really like scores (in pt) above 100pt, mostly it is to be preferred to report a percentage.
Sorry that I didn't get back sooner. You may still have problems with the setup. Do you allow the learner to click a hotspot multiple times? In that case your 'score' will never be correct, because each click will add a point. Or do you disable each hotspot once it is clicked? Having a visited state is not preventing to click twice on the same hotspot.
You really have to think this through: what are the possible situations. You have in mind that the learner will never revisit something, but is that what you want?
I understand that you offer the learner an idea of how many information spots have been visited. Not sure that the present workflow will offer that information...
You have given me a lot to think about...
The multiple click accumulating to the score is definately a problem because multiple clicks will happen. Perhaps I could make a shared action that will hide the reporting hot spot and show a duplicate that does not report. That would be a lot of rework on 50 slides. I need to brainstorm my method and make sure I do this correctly.
Thanks so much for you input.
That is indeed what is worrying me...
After working more with this, changing settings really did nothing. The problem only changed slightly. The problem actually had more symptoms. But I figured it out.
All reporting objects in the training had a visited state that was set to retain state on revist. I noticed that when re-entering the training, I would not always start where I left off and some objects were not retaining their visited state.
From this I learned of the 4096 characher suspend data limitation of SCORM 1.2.
After switching my output format to SCORM 2004 4th Edition, my training works 100%.
Too much for the suspend data... get it.