I'm curious if anyone else has run into this problem. Over the past couple days my team has experienced a significant issue regarding HTML5 published coures not loading in both Chrome & IE. These same courses loaded without issue previously. From what I can tell the course load process dies when CPXHRLoader.js loads CPM.js. Chrome's network tab shows a 206 status (partial load) for CPM.js. Coures never seem to get to the initalizeCP() function within the index.html.
We are pursuing several possiblities:
- To remove complexity, we have tested a basic 2 slide course and see the same loading issues. These coures load normally if you test them locally either from within captivate or a local webserver.
Which makes me think the problem could be browser or server related.
Has there been any significant browser changes that might have caused this? We've tried both Chrome (80.0.3987.122) and IE (11.973.17763.0) and both just hang on course load.
Barring a smoking gun related to browser changes, we are looking at our webserver:
- Our current webserver is Server 2008 running IIS 7, we will be replacing it soon as Server 2008 is outside of MS support as of Jan.
- Tried loading examples to a newer server, Server 2016, running IIS 10.0.14393.0, unfortunately we experienced the same loading issue.
We are researching the possibility of permissions, file size limits, etc. We haven't made any changes, but haven't seen any obvious 'gotchas' with either webserver.
A colleague tried unminifying both the CPM.js and CPXHRLoader.js files and had mixed results, loaded for some coures, but not for others.
Anyone else experienced similar issues or have any other ideas?
Hello Rod, thank you for the response. I took a look at the link you posted. We are currently not using Tin Can or Scorm.
Regardless, I noticed that we were a couple of midstream Captivate 2019 versions behind so I updated a non-production machine from Captivate 2019 - 188.8.131.526 to Captivate 2019 - 184.108.40.2069, and applied the hotfix in the link you posted. The hotfix involves updating scormdriver.js. That file is not included in our published HTML5 output since we are not publishing to an LMS.
With the updated setup I tested a 2 slide test file and I continue to see the same loading issues in both Chrome 80, and Internet Explorer 11 on our target server. We see status 200 for all files at load, the CPM.js shows 200, but stays pending, the movie just hangs at that point. We have noticed that if you mash f5 (refresh repeatedly), that eventually the file will load, then the movie starts.
It was also discovered that several Microsoft Security patches have been deployed on our target server going back to the middle of January. Currently, we are looking at rolling back those patches. Also, we've been testing on other servers. We have noted that there is another IIS webserver with an similar setup that is currently loading all files without issue. Unfortunately, this server will eventually receive the same patches that our target server has already received so it is very possible that this other server will stop loading as well. But it's a promising lead at the moment. Thanks again for taking a look.
After nearly a month of troubleshooting, (we had even opened a ticket with MS), our IT department discovered that the issue was caused by our firewall team changing settings related to Intrustion Detection. When Intrusion Detection was triggered, IT saw via Splunk logs that the packets in the response from the affected server were being dropped thus causing the movies to never fully load.
As soon as an exception was made in our firewall for the servers that housed the published files, our content loads without issue.
This brings an end to the whole maddening saga, that I hope nobody else ever experiences.
Thanks for coming back to the Forum and posting what you found. This will definitely help some other Captivate user (and their IT department) one day.