Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 4 crashes on Edit Background

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2009 Nov 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I really hope you can help me with this issue, as it is thoroughly stopping me from getting any work done on this project. The problem I'm having is that the "Edit background with..."-function is crashing my Captivate. When using this function, my Captivate stops responding. The error happens every time I use this function. I've attached screenshots for reference.

I can't find anything on this issue on the forums, even after reading this thread http://forums.adobe.com/message/2203153#2203153 and looking at the frequently encountered issues http://forums.adobe.com/thread/473021. I have ensured that I'm running the program as administrator, I've downloaded the patch in the first thread and I've moved my files to a low nested folder on my C drive.

I think that the problem might have something to do with my setup being Windows 7 64-bit, as I've only recently changed to this system, and the error has occurred consistenly after.

My setup is:

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit

Intel 3 GhZ QuadCore i7

12 GB Ram

I really hope some of you have an idea on how to solve this. Thanks, in advance!captivate-4-edit-background-function.jpgcaptivate-4-edit-background-crash.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try running CP in XP-compatibility mode? I'm using Windows 7, but 32bit and no problems for the moment (always be careful...)

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No haven't tried that, but just did, with no luck. Still getting the exact same error. Good idea, though, despite no success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I think I'm closing in on the issue here. It seems to have something to do with the system running 64-bit.

Adobe Captivate crashes when trying to edit the background with Adobe Photoshop CS4 64-Bit and Windows 7 64-Bit Microsoft Paint.

But...

it doesn't crash when using Adobe Photoshop CS4 32-Bit (fortunately Adobe has enough foresight to include both in my CS-package).

Now, however, I'm experiencing an old known issue when using Photoshop 32-Bit. The background image doesn't seem to update in Captivate after editing and closing Photoshop. The changes still show up when I reopen Photoshop, though.

Gonna try and clear my AppData directories, to get rid of old temporary files. That has temporarily solved that problem for me in the past.

I'll get back with more info later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay - as a note of interest, it seems that the 64-bit issue exists with Captivate 3 also. Did a few tests, and it crashes in a similar way.

Also, about the non-upadting issue, there's a thread here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/79203, suggesting i change the BMPs after editing with a HEX Editor. A bit to cumbersome a solution in my opinion. Still searching...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't seem to find a solid solution for the non-updating error. Have resolved to the "Copy as/Paste as Background"-workaround mentioned in this thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/79203.

Would still like to solve this issue, though, so if anyone have a solid fix, please let me knwo. I'll check this post as answered, though, as the main issue in this post has been resolved (although the issue still exists).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue hasnt as much been fixed, as it has been worked around. The crarsh happens when trying to use Photoshop CS4 64-bit or Windows 7 64-Bit Paint to edit a background slide in Captivate 3 or 4.

Solution: Don't use Photoshop 64-Bit or Windows 7 64-bit MSPaint. Use Photoshop 32-Bit instead.

Note: Using Photoshop 32-bit may result in another issue - that your backgrounds doesn't update in Captivate after editing. A couple of workaround are mentioned in this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2396290

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Please do take a moment to stop and report this as a bug to Adobe.

Additionally, note that many background edits never really even need an external editor. Of course, this depends on how elaborate the changes are. Many edits are made entirely using Highlight Boxes or Images combined with the "Merge into background" feature of Captivate.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done. Reported both original 64-bit crash bug and non-updating background bug, as seperate bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 25, 2010 May 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No progress on this bug as of May 2010.  Still experiencing the crashing with 100% regularity.

Using Paint 64 bit (with Windows 7 64 bit) and Captivate 4 = Captivate 4 freeze/crash (when saving the bitmap in Paint).

Hopefully:

1) This is posted somewhere as a known issue/bug so that people don't have to find out about it the hard way.

2) This problem will be fixed sometime in the near future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2010 Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having exactly the same issue, also with 64-bit Windows 7. Tried compatibility mode, but no luck.

I hope this will be fixed soon !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

I could not find any answers so made a ticket. Got a long document what to do with these problems under Vista.

Hardly any chance it will be corrected; Adobe doesn't do much about Captivate's quirks and problems 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue happens each time with me. I tried using SnagIt to edit

the background and am using Windows XP operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I succeeded in editing cp4 backgrounds under win7 x64 by installing an old (cs3) version of Photoshop. On one computer, that is.

Had to buy a new laptop (win7, x64) but there CP4 wouldn't run anyhow.

In the meantime I had to buy CP5; work goes on ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources