• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 6 - Unable to create new project from PowerPoint pptx file

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to create a new Captivate 6 project via File / New Project / Project from MS PowerPoint, I immediately get the following error message: "Unable to import Microsoft PowerPoint presentation. The file may be damaged."

I am running Captivate 6 in admin mode.

When I try the same procedure with a PowerPoint ppt file, there is no problem. But, what I'm interested in is to import my pptx files since Captivate 6 now supports all animations, triggers,... thanks to the new 'High fidelity' feature.

Can someone please help me with this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Welcome to Captivate forums

The issue that you are facing is with a specific pptx or is with every pptx? Is that pptx saved on a shared drive?

If it is specific to one pptx, try to create a new pptx out of your old pptx (just for testing) Like you can create a new pptx then copy and paste the pptx slides into new pptx, save it and then import the new pptx.

One more step you can try is :-

Create a backup of your original pptx and then remove few slides from that pptx. Say your pptx contain 20 slides, remove last 10 slides and then import the first ten slides pptx and import in Captivate. If it imports fine, then it means the issue is with last 10 pptx. Then try adding the 11-15 number slides in the pptx and then import. In this way you can rectify whether there is a particular slide or some slides inside the PowerPoint Presentation that are causing this issue.

NOTE : The above steps are valid if you the issue is with specific pptx. Also do not forget to create backup of your pptx.

Hope it helps

Thanks

VJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi VJ,

Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately I'm having the issue with all pptx files, even when the pptx only contains 1 slide and has been created from scratch.

After I convert the pptx into a ppt, everything works fine. So Captivate 6 seems unable to open the new PowerPoint format.

Do you or someone else have any other suggestions to resolve this issue?

Thanx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Sorry for the delay in response.

If you are still facing the same issue, try to recreate Captivate 6 preferences and if that did not solve the issue then reinstall Captivate 6 with Admin rights. Also, if this computer is a work computer, I would suggest you to take the help of the IT personnel of your organization.

Hope that helps

Thanks

VJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2013 Mar 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Also sorry for the delay, it's a quite busy at work

I've reinstalled Captivate 6 but that unfortunately didn't solve the issue.

What do you mean exactly by 'try to recreate Captivate 6 preferences'? Are there any preferences I should be aware of when importing a PowerPoint file?

It is a work laptop but I'm pretty sure that our IT staff will not be able to solve this issue since there are not reallyl familiar with Captivate.

Well, if there is no solution for this, I will first have to convert the PowerPoint files to ppt first, knowing that some animations will be lost in Captivate.

Thanx for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem and discovered  something! After multiple attempts with trying to open a new project from a PPTX file from Captivate 6 welcome screen, I got the error message. I tried deleting slides to locate the problem -  per the suggestion -but it still didn't work.  Then I went to the top menu pull down and selected "new project" and "from PPT" and it imported just fine.  Captivate folks please fix this! It's silly!

NOTE: Well, my suggestion above worked once. Then after that -- back to the same old problem. C6 will not import pptx slides on a consistent basis - you have to save as ppt. Seems that is going backwards technology wise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue. I can't open ANY .pptx file with Cap 6. I did, however, find a workaround that seems to be working consistantly (give this a shot and let me know if it works for you).

1. Create a blank slide in PowerPoint (and save it as a .ppt file).
  2. Import that .ppt file into Cap 6 (you can import it right from the start up screen, "From Microsoft PowerPoint >").
  3. Click OK for the conversion (this should import fine since the blank slide is from a .PPT, not a .PPTX presentation).
  4. Click Insert>PowerPoint Slide...
  5. Select OK on the Import Slides After...screen
  6. Select your PPTX slide and click Open
  7. Now you should see the "Convert Microsoft Powerpoint Presentations" window with the "High Fidelity" checkbox available (which when clicked allows for Smart Art with animations to be imported).

Can someone with the issue please confirm this workaround works for them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2013 Mar 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GoodnWise,

Thanks for your response!

Unfortunately your workaround isn't working, I'm still getting the error message "Unable to import Microsoft PowerPoint presentation. The file may be damaged."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2013 May 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I has just fixed the same problem. Hope this help you.

Issue : First a have an office 2010 64bit installed in computer, for some result i'm uninstall that and install office 2007 32bit. After that i'm install captivate 6 and have same problem.

Resolution:

I'm uninstall office and go to "Program Files" remove folder "Microsoft Office". I think we must clean everything. Uninstall captivate.

Then reinstall office 2010 32bit and captivate everything work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've waited to see if there is some consistency with this problem as it's happens with me consistently at irregular 'suprise' times which is crazyness when there are deadlines to meet. Even when using brand new Dell box, still happens. I also work on a Mac but I need the HiFid option.

And the ONLY consistent thing to work without having to get messy with throwing preference files or reinstalling which is a pain to our IT dept, is to step back to source files and do a Save As (so take the 30 slide pptx file & Saved As). Then shut the machine down.. have nice lunch.. come back restart and only open Captivate and try again to re-import PPTX files.

I swear this has worked for me, since January when I got Captivate 6 for Mac and PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG!! I also had the problem, I was unable to open PPTX in Captivate 6.

I found the solution!!! Our Powerpoint was in French (Windows 7 - Office 2010), so I have changed the language setting in File - Options - Language - then under Choose Display and Help Languages, put English (default) (Set as Default) for both Display language and Help language. Close Powerpoint.

Open Captivate and Import a PPTX, working fine!!!!!! Damn! I have searched so long before finding this solution!! So any non-English language in Powerpoint (in fact Office), you have to change to English!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your repy JessyeM1! I have done the same language changes and my problem is solved as well!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did not work for me.  Is it because I have the demo version of Captivate 2017?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please this is a very old thread about a former version. If you want help, start a new thread and give some more details about your problem. Is it also about different languages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks so much. I am really shocked this has not been fixed. This is now 2019 and still the official workaround. You saved me from the frustration of trying to complete this certification coursework prior to my travels to take the assessment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources