• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 7 quiz - Reset an individual question slide

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a MCQ in Captivate 7.  When a user submits an answer to a question, feedback will appear.  If the answer is incorrect we would like users to read the feedback and then have another try at answering the question.  When they finally answer it correctly they will be able to move forward to the next question. I can't figure out how to get Captivate to clear/reset the question slide so the user can have another go at it.   I'm not concerned with scoring at all and don't want users to have to answer all the questions in the quiz before going back to try again. I just want users to be able to retry each question until they get it right and then move on. Can this be done? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you set the number of attempts to Infinite, the user will not be able to continue until he has given a correct answer. The answer will not be reset, but he can change it and the Failure caption will appear in which you can put the Feedback. Be sure to hide the playbar (there is an option in the Quiz settings) and to drag the Next button (that doubles as a Skip button during Quiz, is Next during review) under the Clear button (can be used by user to clear the answer). That is only necessary if you want to allow review. If not, uncheck the Next button.

More details about Question functionality:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/question-question-slides-in-captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick reply. I should have clarified that we want different feedback for each incorrect answer. There’s no standard incorrect feedback so I’m not using the failure caption. (We explain why the answer they chose is incorrect.) I’m using advanced answer options to show different feedback depending on what the user selects. They click the submit button to get feedback.

I have attempts set to infinite but the question still locks up once the user presses submit. Users can’t change their answer at that point. Is there another method?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is a MCQ with one possible correct answer, you have the Advanced Answer functionality that allows to have a feedback caption for each answer. Use the Quizzing workspace to have both Properties panel and Quiz Properties. The Advanced Answer accordion is in the Properties panel, and appears when you select one answer caption.

You can make it better of course with advanced actions, but wonder if you want to spend the time for that, since you can have multiple Failure captions. If you have multiple correct answers for the MCQ, then advanced actions are the only way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2014 Feb 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have similar problem.

I need if an answer is incorrect, the user to go to the slides where he can read more about that given question and come back and try again to answer the question.
For MCQ with one answer, I did the way Lilybiri explained, with Jump to slide functin, but I have multiple answers questions too, how to do the same with those questions?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2014 Feb 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A solution for my problem, hopefully someone will found this useful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw9wcgup4s8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been searching for this answer for weeks... thanks! I'm amazed it was SO simple and I missed it.. This is why I need captivate classes lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed, one short class about Quizzes would have spared you a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2014 Feb 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My answer here was not to reset one question. Have a solution for that as well in another thread, but works only if the questions are meant as knowledge checks, not for scoring/reporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri, I would love to know how to reset an individual multiple choice question slide. Can you point me to that other thread where you have a solution? My questions in this MCQ are knowledge checks. I'm not scoring/reporting anything but would love to allow users to go backwards in the quiz to retake an individual question.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is pretty simple, you are really starting a new attempt on quiz level,

which means all question slides are reset, and you need infinite or a large

number of attempts on quiz level.

Add a shape button to the question slide. You can even time that button for

rest of project if you want it on multiple questions, hide/show when needed

with the On Enter slide event.

That button has to trigger a standard advanced action or a shared action

with two statements:

Jump to score slide. slide is necessary

Goto Last visited slide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2014 Feb 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, Lilybiri.  We are trying to avoid having users see the score slide. We're giving feedback on the slides themselves and don't want to focus on a score. I'm going to build custom slides instead and make heavy use of advanced actions so I have better control over what happens when user goes back to a question. The quiz slides just aren't working the way I want them to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2014 Feb 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need the score slide to have my work flow being functional, but you can avoid showing it to the users! Just don't hide it, make sure navigation is set up that the score slide is never reached.

Of course, if you have the time, you can set up custom question slides, have blogged a lot about those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 12, 2014 Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri,

I had the same issue with wanting to reset all quiz questions in Captivate 6. I placed the advanced action you mentioned on my conclusion page that takes the user to the results page [which the user does not see] and then the beginning of the module. However, going through the module the second time skips all the quiz questions. It's like they just disappeared. Keep in mind, my quiz questions are scattered throughout the module.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Darin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many quiz attempts did you provide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have infinite attempts, but I think I just found the problem. I had previously set counters that would skip the question slides if you had already been through it once and just wanted to review the content. I had forgotten about those.

Thanks for being a soundboard!

Darin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources