• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 8 HTML5 audio and video not showing on first few slides

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  I am using Captivate 8 and publishing a project as HTML5.  When I play the published project, the first few slides have no audio.  The first slide contains a small intro video and that does not play either.  Audio starts on about slide 4 or 5.  Once the audio has started, if I rewind back to the beginning, audio and video play.  It's like the project is starting to play before everything is ready.

This is happening on two separate projects.

This does not happen if i publish as SWF, or mp4 video, but I cannot use those formats.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jane

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a good idea to place a video file on the very first slide of a project.  Too much data too soon.  It's usually recommended to have a blank slide as your very first slide. 

Also, with audio files, make sure there is a small gap (e.g. one tenth of a second) between the beginning of the slide timeline and the start of the audio clip, as well as also having a space at the end.  This forces the slide audio to be loaded slide-by-slide and can sometimes alleviate similar audio problems to the ones you are having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod, thank you so much for trying to help.

I tried inserting a blank slide on at the start of the project but that did not help.  The intro video on the first (now second) slide is a simple logo animation and is less than 2 MB.  I have used it in a dozen projects in the past without difficulty, but the old projects may have been published using the SWF option.

I noticed that on the 4th slide, the last slide that the audio did not play, there is a button to continue.  When I click that, I hear the click, then the audio plays on the next slide.  So, I put a button on the new, blank first slide.  When that is clicked, I hear the click and the audio plays from the beginning.  However, the intro video still does not play.  This is a workaround, but I really don't like the way it works.  Not very elegant.  And still no video.

If anyone knows of a way around this, or a setting that tells the project to not start playing until everything is loaded, I would appreciate knowing.

Thanks,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a strange workaround? Wonder what is wrong, but since I no longer have CP8...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like a dinosaur, still using 8, but it's what I have!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understand, but that is the problem now to support people with older versions. CP8 was the first version with that new (hateful) UI and it had lot of problems that were solved in later versions. Beware: I'm not sure at all that your problem is within those but if there is no way to double-check I tend to step away. Rod made all the suggestions I would have made, but the HTML support has increase a lot with the two later versions, maybe the cause is there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although nothing has really changed in Captivate 8 recently, there have been some significant changes in recent web browser versions, especially when it comes to automatically playing audio files in content.  Have you (or your organisation) recently changed or updated your web browser versions?

Since you mentioned that your audio started working AFTER you clicked something on one of the slides, I am wondering if this issue might be related to the new way that web browsers are now requiring some kind of user interaction before audio will play. 

As a test, try placing a single button (with action set to Go to Next Slide) on the very first blank slide of the project.  See if the other issues are resolved by having your users click that button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rod,

I did put a button on the first slide requiring a click to continue.  It solved the audio problem, but not the video problem.  It is quite an ugly workaround so I am still looking for other options.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources