• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 9 Accessibility

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to build a project in Captivate 9 that will work with screen readers and will play in HTML5 only.

I am setting up accessibility on all pages and have enabled accessibility in the settings, but everytime I test the build I am unable to activate any buttons or get the reader to read any text on the screen. I can tab through the buttons but cannot activate them and the only text that is read is in the slide notes, and that isn't repeated.

Please help, I need to ensure full accessibility for my project but can't seem to get even the basic elements to work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked all the information provided by Adobe with regard to Captivate accessibility?https://helpx.adobe.com/captivate/using/creating-accessible-projects.html

Unfortunately, since you are using Captivate 9, you won't get all the latest improvements in this area that might be available with later versions such as Cp 2019.

More info here: https://www.adobe.com/accessibility/compliance/adobe-captivate-prime-acr.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the additional information,

Unfortunately I have been following the information provided by Adobe and I am still having trouble.

The text boxes are not being read by the screen reader and the buttons are not activating. I am not sure what is going wrong.

Has anybody else been able to successfully build a project in Captivate 9 that will function with a screen reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, but using Captivate 8 - how can we bump this question so it gets more views??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting more 'views' isn't the answer. 

Adobe isn't going to be interested in trying to make Captivate 8 any more accessible than it already is because it's several versions behind current technology. 

Since Captivate 2019 has been out more than a year already and the next version (2020) is due anytime now, THAT version is your best chance to get any accessibility improvements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. I would insist the question is still valid in all versions of Captivate and I am yet to see a reply from Adobe confirming that their software actually works with screen readers or not - although there is a feature called 'Enable accessibility'. What exactly does that do if not enable screen readers to read alt text? What reassurance would one have that newer versions of Captivate do indeed work with Dragon for example?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since you are unsure about it, here is what Adobe's Help system tells you about that Enable Accessibility option:

https://helpx.adobe.com/captivate/using/creating-accessible-projects.html#add_accessibility_text_to_...

Please note that Accessibility is actually a very complex issue and cannot be solved or set up just by selecting a single option in any software.  There are several screen reader apps and they all behave somewhat differently, so setting up a course for one doesn't mean it will work the same way in all of them.

If you truly want to make a Captivate elearning course compatible with even ONE of the accessibility standard (each of which has several levels of compliance) then you are going to need to do quite a lot of study on this topic and your course will need to change quite a lot to fit within the limitations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources