Highlighted

Captivate 9: Button with 2 actions

Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Captivate 9 on Windows 7 64-bit

I am working on a training video. I want to make an interaction that a user can click each button to learn more about that item. What I want the button to do is open a small dialog box with information about that button and I would like it to play a little audio clip simultaneously and the user will have to click on an x to close the window (this part of the x is not so important if it cannot be done). I already figures out how to create a small dialog and I'm doing that by making new states and when the button is pressed it would change the state to that specific item. Is there a way to perform another action to put the audio on that button?

P.S. There is an add audio button under properties > Options of the button but this currently plays all of the buttons voice notes at once.

I also do not want the learner to be able to advance to the next slide by clicking NEXT until the all the buttons are clicked. I have already succeeded doing by going to the skin editor and taking off all the forward options. I also placed a next button after the slide completes. However, I am not sure how the program will know not every button was pressed.

I am a beginner in captivate so if you can please give me a step-by-step solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Captivate 9: Button with 2 actions

Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Captivate 9 on Windows 7 64-bit

I am working on a training video. I want to make an interaction that a user can click each button to learn more about that item. What I want the button to do is open a small dialog box with information about that button and I would like it to play a little audio clip simultaneously and the user will have to click on an x to close the window (this part of the x is not so important if it cannot be done). I already figures out how to create a small dialog and I'm doing that by making new states and when the button is pressed it would change the state to that specific item. Is there a way to perform another action to put the audio on that button?

P.S. There is an add audio button under properties > Options of the button but this currently plays all of the buttons voice notes at once.

I also do not want the learner to be able to advance to the next slide by clicking NEXT until the all the buttons are clicked. I have already succeeded doing by going to the skin editor and taking off all the forward options. I also placed a next button after the slide completes. However, I am not sure how the program will know not every button was pressed.

I am a beginner in captivate so if you can please give me a step-by-step solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First question: add the audio to the state. Watch this movie, the first automatic list has audio linked to each state:

http://www.lilybiri.com/published/Lists/index.html

For the Close button:

More is in a...hyperlink - Close button - Captivate blog

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for your reply! Is there a way to do my third question? (I also do not want the learner to be able to advance to the next slide by clicking NEXT until the all the buttons are clicked. I have already succeeded doing by going to the skin editor and taking off all the forward options. I also placed a next button after the slide completes. However, I am not sure how the program will know not every button was pressed.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Added my first answer in the Jive forums, because otherwise you would have had to wait hours before seeing it because it had hyperlinks.

I am not sure your third question is complete. Will you allow the user to come back to that slide? If yes, would you force them again to do everything before the Next button appears?  Have some blog posts about that as well, but will not post links for the reason mentioned above, am now in the portal where I have to be 'moderated', in the other forum I am moderator.

You will have to make that Next button invisible in output. All the buttons have either their pausing point at the same moment or you have only one pausing point on one of them. Since they don't have to be clicked in sequence, you'll need to create one user variable for each button. Give them a default value of 0 (zero, this is not a good font for numbers). When a button is clicked the corresponding variable has to be toggled to 1.  After that you'll have to check the value of all variables. If they are all equal to 1, which means that all buttons have been clicked, you show the Next button.

That means creating an advanced action with two decisions. But you are a newbie. apparently without training.  And in 9 the combination of a standard decision with a conditional decision is not easy for newbies. Have posted the solution tens of times on the forums.... 

First decision 'Always'

IF  1 is equal to 1
         Assign var with 1
         Do what you want that button to do

Second decision 'Checker'

IF var1 is equal to 1 AND
          var2 is equal to 1 AND
     Show Bt_Next

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would allow the user to come back to the slide however I will not make them go through every button again

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need another user variable in that case, to track the number of visits. I will label it v_visit. its default value also has to be 0.

Now you'll need a one-decision conditional action, to be triggered with the On Enter event of the slide:

IF v_visit is equal to 1

Show Bt_Next

Continue

ELSE

Hide Bt_Next

Assign v_visit with 1

Continue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I just tried the close button and it doesn't really explain the process to do this. All it does from what I can see is show how it works. If you can send the process that'll be really helpful.

Also, How do I create the advanced action to take care of the "Continue Playing the Project" issue?

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at this video tutorial I did from several years ago:

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate/template/03-dynamic-menu-page

Nowadays achieving this result would be easier with Object STates, but at least the video shows how to create a complex interaction that involves use of variables and conditional actions.  These are two things you need to learn about.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To show the NEXT button only after all other required items have been clicked you'll need a variable for each item and a conditional action that can test all of those variables. When all of the variables say that all of the items have been clicked, the action will show the NEXT button - otherwise it will remain hidden.

Start by turning off visibility for the NEXT button by clicking the "eye" icon next to it's name in the Properties tab.

If I have 3 buttons that I want the user to click, I need to create the variables v_btn1, v_btn2, v_btn3 (or whatever makes sense to you). Assign each a value of 0 when you create them.

For each button, you need a conditional advanced action that will:

1. assign the value of that button's variable to 1 when clicked

2. do all of the things you want the button to do (show things, etc.)

3. in a second decision tab, test IF v_btn1 == 1 AND v_btn2 == 1 AND v_btn3 == 1, THEN show the NEXT button

As Lilibiry will say, if all of the buttons do similar things, a shared action can be very handy in this situation. She has written extensively on the use of shared actions. If you are unfamiliar or uncomfortable using shared actions, just stick with a separate advanced action for each button for now.

Set NEXT button visibility to hidden

Create variables

First tab of a conditional advanced action (I use Captivate 9 - Cap 2017 looks a little different). Add in all of the other things that the button-click will always do.

Second tab of the same action

The timeline - all pause points of the buttons are aligned. If you have audio or animations that take time, you might have to adjust the timing of the NEXT button.

Cheers!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I was unable to get this to work. Do I create one action, add all the variables:

IF 1 is equal to 1

Assign v_btn1 with 1

Assign v_btn2 with 1

Assign v_btn3 with 1

and then have a new tab with the Show Button_Next action

Or do I need an action for each of these buttons?

Also how do I get it to work on the slide? Do I click somewhere on the screen where there is nothing showing? Then go to actions > On Enter > Execute Advanced Options > Script > ActionIJustCreated

If possible please send a short video or slightly more steps.

I'm sorry.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For each button you need a separate conditional action following the pattern I gave before. Each button's action only assigns a value to the variable for that button (btn1_action says Assign 1 to v_btn1, btn2_action says Assign 1 to v_btn2, etc). The second decision tab tests all of the variables to see whether or not to show the NEXT button. You should not be assigning a value to more than one variable in any one action.

To make an advanced action

1. Choose Project -> Advanced Actions ...

2. Click the + button in the upper right corner of the window.

3. Make sure you select Conditional Action from the Action Type dropdown.

4. Create and save (Update) the action

5. Click the button you wish to use to trigger the action. (E.g. Button_1)

6. In the Properties tab, choose Actions (next to Style).

7. Choose Execute Advanced Actions from the On Success dropdown.

8. Choose your new action from the Script dropdown.

If you do not like using menus, you can start at step 5. After step 7, click the yellow folder icon next to the Script dropdown, then go back to step 2. You must still make sure you do step 8 - it is no good creating an action, but then forgetting to actually assign it to your button (the voice of experience is speaking here)!!

For the On Enter action:

Lilibiry's solution with another variable will work, but you will have to add a line to each  showNext? tab of each of the button advanced actions to make it work - Assign v_slideComplete (or whatever name you give the variable) with 1

OR, you can forget that step, forget making a variable for v_slideComplete, and just use the same conditions from the showNext? tab in your OnEnter conditional advanced action:

onEnter_action

IF v_btn1 = 1 AND v_btn2 = 1 AND v_btn3 = 1

THEN

show button_Next

Good luck!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with this is I already have the Actions position used since I made states because I'm using a  "click to reveal" slide. Every time a trainee presses a button I need it to open a new state. Can I make the same button perform 2 actions at once? Or am I able to add this to advanced options as a second line for each button. So it would be:

IF 1 is equal to 1

Assign v_btn1 with 1

Change state of Text_Caption_126 to (state I want)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be confused because you got two user answers with slightly different solutions. Mostly I step away in that case, just to avoid that. You can add as many commands to a standard action (1 is equal to 1) as you want. Just be careful with the sequence, although in this use case there is no problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured this out! I realized I can add many options to that area and did that. Do you have steps on how to make the close button

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In mu first answer I gave you a link to a blog post about Close.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't really explain the process to do this. All it does from what I can see is show how it works. If you can send the process that'll be really helpful.

Also, How do I create the advanced action to take care of the "Continue Playing the Project" issue?

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that post explains the process. I am just a user, all my blogs are free and I spend a couple of hours daily answering questions also for free.

Please start a new thread i if you have more questions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand any many of us really appreciate what you do for the Adobe Community, There is a "CloseAct" Advanced option that you use for this process and I am not sure where to find the code for that. I understand the concept of hyperlink and what we can do with it I am just unsure how to implement the "CloseAct" Advanced option.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Lilybiri LATEST
Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no advanced action to close with the X hyperlink, it is just 'Change State to Normal'.  That can be done with a simple command on the Hyperlink event, and that is explained in the blog post. Where do you see 'CloseAct' mentioned in that post? 

If you don't use states, you can create an action to Hide everything, easiest when you group everything. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Captivate User Guide
New Group