• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 9: how do I stop auto progression of slides?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very new to Captivate and I'm using 9.

We want our projects to hide the project skin so the learner will always have to use the buttons on each slide we designate for the next step(s) to take.  I don't think taking away the project skin stop the auto-play of the project though. Will placing a forward or backward button do that automatically?

TOPICS
Editing , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Captivate 9 has many new features that can be useful for your goal, hence my request to start a new thread.

If you use default settings for a normal button, it will have a duration of 3 secs and a pause at 1.5secs. You can see this clearly when you insert that button in two locations:

1. On the timeline panel (be sure to have it open all the time, that newbie UI is hiding it by default which is not a good idea): you'll see the length of the button timeline (make the slide longer to see the default du

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate 9 has many new features that can be useful for your goal, hence my request to start a new thread.

If you use default settings for a normal button, it will have a duration of 3 secs and a pause at 1.5secs. You can see this clearly when you insert that button in two locations:

1. On the timeline panel (be sure to have it open all the time, that newbie UI is hiding it by default which is not a good idea): you'll see the length of the button timeline (make the slide longer to see the default duration) and you'll see a thin vertical line at 1.5secs which is the pause (it has a Pause symbol before that line).
  2. In the Timing Properties panel you'll see both duration and the pausing time.

If you don't want the buttons to pause the slide, you can uncheck that Pause feature in the Timing Properties panel.

ShapePause.png

Since you are talking about Next/Back buttons, I would strongly recommend to use shapes with the functionality of a button. The reasons for that recommendation: have a look at this blog post Why I like Shape Buttons - Captivate 6! - Captivate blog  Once I presented a webinar for Adobe, only about shape buttons. They can be used on master slides (but lose their InBuilt states, a bug in Captivate 9 that has to be fixed) or put on the first slide, and timed for the rest of the project. The screenshot was taken about such a shape button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Very pointed on bases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources