Highlighted

Captivate 9 - HTML5 Content Will Not Load

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Captivate v9.0.1.324. I have a couple of projects that will not load in a browser when published as HTML5. When trying to load the index.htm page you see the loading icon (spinning circle) and that is all. I've tested with different browsers and on different computers and still have the same problem. The projects work just fine as SWF and there are no errors/notices in the HTML5 tracker.

Unfortunately the site we use for review only allows Captivate projects to be published as HTML5 in a .zip package. Since the project never loads reviewers are unable to make any comments. I've googled and searched the Adobe forums and haven't found any solutions.

Any suggestions on how to track the problem down would be greatly appreciated.

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Lilybiri | Most Valuable Participant

Some features like the Learning interactions will only play from a server, but apparently it is not the case here.

It could be a corrupt object somewhere, or more than one. Do you have question slides? Do you use learning interactions?

The difficulty is to find the 'culprit'. A possible work flow is to hide a lot of slides, publish and test again, then gradually add more slides until you bump onto the cause of your problems. I suppose you used the Project, HTML tracker?

TOPICS
Editing, Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Captivate 9 - HTML5 Content Will Not Load

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Captivate v9.0.1.324. I have a couple of projects that will not load in a browser when published as HTML5. When trying to load the index.htm page you see the loading icon (spinning circle) and that is all. I've tested with different browsers and on different computers and still have the same problem. The projects work just fine as SWF and there are no errors/notices in the HTML5 tracker.

Unfortunately the site we use for review only allows Captivate projects to be published as HTML5 in a .zip package. Since the project never loads reviewers are unable to make any comments. I've googled and searched the Adobe forums and haven't found any solutions.

Any suggestions on how to track the problem down would be greatly appreciated.

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Lilybiri | Most Valuable Participant

Some features like the Learning interactions will only play from a server, but apparently it is not the case here.

It could be a corrupt object somewhere, or more than one. Do you have question slides? Do you use learning interactions?

The difficulty is to find the 'culprit'. A possible work flow is to hide a lot of slides, publish and test again, then gradually add more slides until you bump onto the cause of your problems. I suppose you used the Project, HTML tracker?

TOPICS
Editing, Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 11, 2016 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you upload to a webserver? Only in that case you'll be able to see the full functionality.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2016 0
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri,

Thank you for your response. Can you explain what you mean by "full functionality"? I currently have zero functionality on the projects I'm having issues with. They have been uploaded to a web server (the review site we use) and the symptoms are the same as trying to open the HTML5 content locally (the loading icon displays but the player and content never load).

I have other projects published as HTML5 that load just fine locally and work without issue on our review site, this leads me to believe it is something specific to those projects that is causing the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2016 0
Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2016 2
Advisor ,
Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you're publishing and testing locally, and then trying to upload the zip file to a server for review, is that right?

1) Check your server to see if the unzipping has completed, we had a 10 minute process suddenly take 4 - 6 hours last week and were ONLY INFORMED of this when we called for support.

2) Try publishing your zip to SCORM.COM with a free account, it will give feedback if the zip causes errors.

3) Try publishing the Cp file as HTML to a folder, and zipping the folder yourself.Upload that to SCORM.com and your server for testing.

4) Revisit the SCORM setting dialogues in Cp and compare with the target LMSs settings.

Project Info -> Quiz Reporting:

Enable Reporting 2015-10-30_15-02-49.png

Click configure:

Underscores indicate NO SPACES ALLOWED.

Course Title  2015-09-29_9-03-10.png

Any difference?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2016 0
Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BDuckWorks You probably missed the OP's answer that the project IS uploaded to a webserver. Not every project needs to be a SCO,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2016 0
Advisor ,
Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I didn't miss that at all. I was confirming the assumption.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2016 0
Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fine. I didn't ask if it is a SCO or just a zipped package.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2016 0
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone for your assistance. I'm going to just lump all my replies into one message because I need to get back to work.

I used the show/hide slides to narrow down the problem to a single slide with a drag and drop interaction. I'm picking up from another developer who had a thing for always using default Captivate names for objects and never bothered to rename anything.

The resolution was to remove the drag and drop interaction on the slide and recreate it using sensible type interaction names (DragSource1/DragTarget1, DragSource2/DragTarget2, etc.). This appears to have resolved the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2016 0
Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate is very sensitive to labeling, never use same name for two items, or variables or actions or decisions if you want to avoid issues. Great, you figured it out quite quickly

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2016 0
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just had the same thing happen to me and thought that I would post my resolution for anyone who's out there desperately searching forums - just in case it might help!

My 'corrupt' items were my question pool slides. The question pool names had hyphens in them.

I removed the hyphens and my project worked fine from thereon - all seems to be loading.

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2018 1
Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting, having weird/reservered characters in names is too often at the origin of issues like yours.  Due to my DOS-past, I am very much aware of that, not always realize how that is no longer in the DNA of more recent users of IT.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. The project would not load in html5 preview, nor when uploaded to the LMS.

The problem: I had a drag and drop interaction that was labeled "XXXX YYYY". I renamed it to "XXXX_YYYY" and everything works.

Hope this helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2018 1
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed my issue, thank you so much, well spotted!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2019 0