• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 9 is frequently "Not Responding".

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2016 Jan 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Googled (and tried the various fixes suggested e.g. clearing the cache, renaming the Captivate folder etc.) but the issue persists. I understand that this has been a problem with Captivate 8 (and possibly older versions too). Anyone has any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have done both. I have gone back through the forums and read your posts and Lieve's post before posting here. I am working with a few other developers and they seem to be having similar issues. I have learned to save every few minutes to prevent losing changes:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Debbie:

Unfortunately this has been a persistent problem with Captivate 8 and 9 for which Adobe provided no solution to me. Rod was very helpful in trying to debug( as noted in the thread above) but I never got a satisfactory response or support from Adobe - which in my mind is pretty bad since I have been teaching and supporting Captivate as a Certified Trainer since version 3. I like you have saved frequently and rebooted often when using Captivate 8 and  9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having issues with freezing. Simple things like changing themes, or aligning objects cause the project to say "not responding" and you need to wait it out. Very Frustrating.

Captivate Version 9

New PC Windows 10 plenty of performance and HD space.

University connection, logged in as admin

It's forcing me to look at alternative programs for instructional design. Was hoping to find an answer on this thread!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logging in as Administrator is not the same as lauching an application with Run as Administrator setting.

Be sure to be on the last version of 9 which is 9.0.2.437.

Clean the cache regularly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

How do you run Captivate as an administrator?

thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RIght-click on the launch icon or text, and choose 'Run as Administrator'. Or better: click the Advanced button and check it there, that will avoid you to have to do this for every launch of Captivate.

RunAdm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  And where can I find the advanced button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on the OS. What are you using? It is under Properties in the right-click menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one thing I noticed:

Adobe Captivate really starts to struggle when you try to make changes that affect multiple elements at once.

I have learned to never make any change that will affect 5 or more elements at the same time. For example:

• I will never change the Theme of a project after it has been started. Never tried, not risking it.
  • I will never again select 10 Smart Shapes at once to make a common edit on them (e.g. position or size, even just moving them around). Reduce this number significantly if there are actions tied to those Smart Shapes.

Avoiding those 2 situations has alleviated 95% of my "Does not respond" issues with the software. Always edit 1 item at a time, even if it looks like Captivate should be able to handle more. Also, save often, incrementing file names regularly, just in case, with backups on a separate hard drive.

And yeah, obviously, running things non-locally will ruin everything. Ignore any person who tells you otherwise. Automated backups of your files on remote servers can do that too, without you being aware that it exists, if the infrastructure behind the backup is not solid enough, which is all too often the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with Windows 10 and Captivate 2019. I checked everything listed in this thread, and am hard-wired to my home's internet and not on wi fi. When changing a question, for example from 4 answer choices to 6, it takes about 30 minutes to do this on 1 question even though I don't have anything else running and am only using 15.8% of my system's memory. It is exacerbating. I don't have any other devices running on my network either. It can take me up to 10 hours to add a quiz. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, this is a thread about CP9. Start a new conversation since you are on another version.
Check the full version number under Help, About Captivate, please!  There have been many releases under the common name CP2019. The most recent version for Win is 11.5.5.553.

Do you clean the cache regularly? Is Captivate installed on your system, and do the paths in Preferences, General settings point to folders on your system, not on a networked drive.

You told that you are using 'Run as Administrator', that you have cleaned the cache and cleared the Preferences? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am extremely disappointed after reading this thread. We are now in 2021 and the same issue persists. Not to mention the lack of technical support I have experienced. After using Captivate for over 7 years I can no longer rely on it to be my number one Instructional Design too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources