• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 9 is painfully slow on iMac - worth upgrading to the new version or not?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does any one else find Captivate 9 painfully slow when creating a quiz?

I use the programme daily to build digital content for my clients but its taking so much longer than it needs to. Simple tasks like changing the font or size takes minutes. Or simply clicking on a text box will send it jumping up the page.

My iMac has no issues running multiple programmes from the Creative Cloud so I know its not my machine, especially after looking at some of the forums with people saying it can take them 2 minutes for 5mm shift of a text box. Madness.

I downloaded a trial of the new Captivate but it crashed twice before I had even started a project. I built one short quiz in it to see how it handled but found it was pretty much exactly the same speed and that I now have to sync my fonts. So, an extra job that I could do without!

First impressions of the upgrade are not good, has anyone else had any positive experiences with the new upgrade regarding speed?

I'm starting to think that I need to come to terms with the fact that it is a slow software no matter what version or machine you have.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works fine on my Windows 10 PC.

But I have heard other MAC users on the forum for several versions now say their machines seem to struggle when using Captivate.

I have not seen anything official from Adobe as to the possible reasons for this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you still having this issue? I spoke to Adobe support and they basically told me 'it was normal' which I find frustrating, especially when it is so obviously slow. The funny thing is it runs fine on the Mac Air which has a lower spec than my imac. Appreciate if anyone can advise how to fix the lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @kennyl16833956,

Yes this is still an issue and extremely frustrating. As a quick solution which I found helped a little was clearing down the library of any items not in use and avoid using any other software at the same time. I'm sure you've probably already tried this but this was the only thing I found to make it almost bareable to use.

We have to create content with a quick turnaround and Captivate just isn't up to scratch or reliable enough to continue using so my department have abandoned the programme with no plans to upgrade. We have gone in a different direction and have started to build our quizzes and interactive content within a free HTML tool called Adapt. It's brilliant and has been so much easier and quicker to build content. We haven't used Captivate since we've switched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Madlen, thanks for the feedback and i checked out Adapt. Looks like a great solution but the installation process looks painful. I will probably get articulate installed on my pc and switch out from adobe if they don't fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When did Articulate release a Mac version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Articulate will be a replacement for Adobe Captivate if you are targeting users with different screen sizes. I paid for articulate license last year but I never used it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Articulate hasn't released a MAC version.  If you want to run it on a MAC, you have to do it with an emulator:

Articulate 360 FAQs: Working on a Mac - Articulate Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is relevant to your problem but I find that having the Branching View window open causes Captivate to slow down markedly, even in Windows systems.  So, if you happen to have that dialog open, close it and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice, but I don't use the branching view... if you have any suggestions about what I can turn off , or maybe lower the resolution of images... would really appreciate it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources