• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 9 - Multiple Audio Layers on Single Slide

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get more than 1 audio layer on a slide. I have the text the speech audio and want to layer another sound on top. When I try to add the second track it replaces the first one (the text to speech audio). Where is the option to add without replacing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Sorry, Diana, you never could have multiple audio layers in Captivate at all. You can have only one slide audio layer and one system audio layer. Maybe you misunderstand the question, nothing has changed about that functionality since I started using Captivate (with version 1), only system audio was added some versions ago (6?).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use the system audio track, or use another way to have audio: attach audio to an object (can be an object that is invisible to the user - have a look at this article:

Audio Objects: Control them! - Captivate blog

Another way is to use an event to trigger the action 'Play Audio'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just add as a layer as I have always done in Captivate. What happened to that functionality?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Diana, you never could have multiple audio layers in Captivate at all. You can have only one slide audio layer and one system audio layer. Maybe you misunderstand the question, nothing has changed about that functionality since I started using Captivate (with version 1), only system audio was added some versions ago (6?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct. I was confusing Captivate with a different tool. Too many projects at the time lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 19, 2019 May 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, this is one of the 99 things I hate about Captivate!

I don't understand how Adobe can be proud to put their name on expensive  S!@!T software like this.  Completely useless at just about everything, even PowerPoint is way better at animation, audio and drawing than Captivate... and that says a lot!

I love all of Adobe's other programs, but I think they should scrap Captivate and combine some of their existing software to create a game-changing eLearn platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, I try to help other users. If you want to insult the creators of the software, look for the appropriate channels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, sorry, I didn't insult you or Adobe, I insulted the abomination that is Captivate.  Tension and frustrations rise when you have deadlines and the software isn't helping.  Like I said "I love all of Adobe's other programs, but I think they should scrap Captivate and combine some of their existing software to create a game-changing eLearn platform."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may be forgetting the fact that quite a few people here on this forum actually quite LIKE this product and use it every day without having the same issues or forming the same opinion you have developed.  In fact, many of us (myself included) believe Captivate IS the best e-learning authoring tool currently available on the market. 

Yes, we are well aware that Captivate has some bugs and quirks and limitations, but then so do all other e-learning tools. If there was a tool out there that did everything e-learning developers wanted and had no downsides whatsoever, then Captivate would no longer exist as a product.  But Captivate's enduring position at the top of the e-learning tool ratings is proof that most people in the industry do NOT share your view.

You are of course allowed to have your personal opinion.  But since (as Lilybiri pointed out) this is a User Forum dedicated to helping people resolve issues with Captivate, unless you have something useful to share (besides your suggestion to ditch the entire tool) please save the vitriol for another place and time.  You're wasting our time with these comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My post was 4 years ago and I have created thousands of trainings since. The solution was to assign the audio to the objects. Let's all just get along. I appreciated Anton's comment and didn't find it upsetting or inappropriate at all. I don't mind that people have opinions either positive or negative regarding Captivate as it fosters discussion. I use other software and each has advantages and disadvantages. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. You can add multiple audios in a single slide.

I put together a single point lesson for how to program multiple audios on a single slide. Since I can't attach the file in here, if you need, you can send me your email so that I can email you the single point lesson.

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, the question was about audio layers.  You can have only one audio layer which has the slide audio.  That is the only audio which is synchronized to the slide timeline and can be paused (at least on content slides, not on quiz slides nor D&D slides).

Can you explain how you will have multiple auido layers in Captivate? This is a public forum, you can insert screenshots and video. This would be a surprise to me and to most readers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my quick respoonse.

In order to program multiple audios on a single slide in Captivate 2019, three major actions to consider when programming.

1. Program main slide Actions in Properties.

2. Program Advanced Actions after you have created slide layers and added audios to each layers

3. Program Execute Advanced Actions in main slide Properties

Most of the problems happen when the author forgets to program "execute Advanced Actions" and "Stop Triggered Audio"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I don't think you understood the question the same way I did (and answered that way) when I read this. There are several types of audio possible in Captivate:

• Background audio with very little control, no auido layer
  • Slide audio, which is the only type having a layer and which you can control only on content slides with the pausing command or the Pause button.
  • Object audio: where you attach audio to an object; that type of audio starts playing when the object becomes visible and stops when the object disappears, little control possible. There is NO layer for this type of audio. That type of audio can play simultaneously with slide audio, and you can have several audio clips playing at the same time, since it is based on the visibility of the object.
  • Audio started with the command 'Play Audio'. That is the most recent version. Like Object audio it has NO layer. This type of audio can be stopped by 'Stop triggered audio', which has no power over the other types of audio. It is also stopped automatically when a new audio clip is started with the command 'Play Audio'. This means that those audio clips can never play simultaneously.

Since you talk about Advanced actions (I am called the Queen of Advanced actions, and the Empress of Shared actions by my fans) I know that you don't talk about slide audio which has a layer but about other audio types. I suspect you have added audio to objects, which adds an audio icon to the object layers. Slide audio is a real layer under the slide layer. maybe some terminology confusion between slide layers and object layers? 

More information in one of my multiple blogs about audio:

https://elearning.adobe.com/2018/06/pausing-timeline-audio-clips/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

šŸ˜Š

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wished there was an 'official' glossary somewhere. Were you using object audio? Hide/Show with Delay actions or using staggering on the timeline?

Thanks for the posting and sorry for the  misunderstanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources