Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 9 preview does not work

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recently upgraded to captivate 9 from captivate 8. Since doing this the Preview from this slide, preview next 5 slides and preview project options do not work in existing or completely new interactive projects. The project appears to generate but then I get an error message "can not open document"

I can use the preview in scorm cloud option (which is great - but slow to load up)

is this a known issue?

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you share a screenshot of the error message you are seeing? Are you using a Responsive or Non-responsive project? Is the issue with your upgraded projects or with any project newly created in Captivate 9?

If it is project specific, can you share the project? You can upload it to a shared location (eg Dropbox) and send the link to mdas@adobe.com

Thanks,

Mohana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im using a responsive project. The issue is with newly created and upgraded projects. Here is screen shot of error message:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Greetings from Adobe..!

Can you please send me the project so that we can have a look into it ? Please send me the private message so that we can connect try to find the cause of the issue.

Regards,

Mayank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a preview problem in Captivate 9 too. It starts generating files and copying assets but after that I have the following: Downloading http://localhost:2429/HTML5Temp9352761894015Pre/rindex.html.

After that, a window looking like a Word document but with a black field appears....no preview:( How can I fix this problem? I am using PC, Windows 8.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, just wondering if you found a fix to this issue? I am getting the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please, this is an OLD thread.... Little chance you'll ever get a reaction from the original poster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the solution to the Captivate 9 preview problem? I have a similar issue where I can not preview my responsive course unless I use SCORM cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am looking for the solution to preview issue in Captivate 9.  Any guidance is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi even I cannot generate preview on Captivate - please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar issue.  A week ago I had no problem with either the "from this slide" or the "next 5 slides" preview.  Then earlier this week, I started having problems with "from this slide," where it generates the preview (in the default Internet Explorer) and then just has the wheel cycling and not bringing up the content.  Now this is happening with "from next 5 slides" as well.  Is my project too large or something?  Does this have anything to do with it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution to this issue?  I just did a clean install of Captivate 9 (on Windows 10 - v. 1511) and have lost the ability to preview Responsive Projects (newly created and previously created).  When I select "Preview Project" or "Next Five Slides, I get a message saying "copying assets" and "generating slides", but then nothing happens.    Preview works fine on non-responsive projects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this on a PC? If so, after the preview fails to appear, does anything change if you press and hold the little Windows logo key on your keyboard and press the left arrow key a couple of times?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Clean install": did that include deleting the Preferences and Layouts folders? Did you install the hot fix?

https://helpx.adobe.com/captivate/kb/hot-fix-captivate-9.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the assistance.

I used Window's 10 add/remove programs to delete and then reinstalled captivate from the adobe website.  I did not delete the prefs and layout folders.  I can try that, but I'm not sure where these folders reside (sorry, new to win10).   

Also, I applied the hotfix you sent, but I'm still not able to get the preview to work.  I now get a new error (attached) when I try to preview standard projects.  I get no error and no preview when I try to preview a responsive project.

Also, one additional note, which I'm not sure matters or not.  I was using the preview version of captivate with no preview problems on Sunday (which was my last day of the trial period).  I purchased captivate on Monday, deleted the trial version and reinstalled from the download link that adobe provided with my purchase.  I started to experience the preview issues after reinstalling on Monday.

swf-compile-error.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trial version is identical to the full version, there was no need whatsoever to uninstall/reinstall. But whenever you reinstall you have to delete the Preferences and Layouts folders. For the Preferences, use the CleanPreferences file for windows that you find in the subfolder 'Utils' under the Captivate installation folder.

For the Layouts folder, you'll find it under:

Users\Public\Public Documents\Adobe\eLearning Assets\

Be also sure to Run Captivate as Administrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2016 Mar 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same problem, maybe even worst My captivate 9 (PC VERSION ONLY) can't start preview. Mac version is fine.

In Browser - doesn't work

HTML5 in browser - doesn't work

In Adobe Edge Inspect- doesn't work.

The movie from it you can find below:

http://kowalczyk.ovh/preview/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello all

I am having the same problem now on Mac with non-responsive projects. Preview works fine for responsive ones. For new and existing non-responsive projects the system looks like it creates slides and saves the file, but then nothing further happens. All menus and buttons are deactivated with the exception of the Adobe Captivate menu, which only gives active options to Hide Captivate, Hide others, or Quit.

I have restarted the machine, but no improvement.

Please help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I'm experiencing the same issue with responsive projects only.  When I preview project or next 5 slides, it does the copying assets and generating, then nothing happens. No error message.

The only preview that works correctly is SCORM.

I did the latest update and restarted and that was unsuccessful.  I have 9.0.1.320.

Any suggestions.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're only testing this from published content on your local drive you will often run into these kinds of issues.  Upload your content to a web server and test it from there.

Another thing worth trying is to use different browsers.  Some work better than others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem in Windows 10 and the following may have been the reason.

I went to Start > Settings > System > Default apps > Web browser and discovered that there was no default browser set.

I decided to try setting Edge as the default browser to see if things would work and sure enough I could preview the project.

I then tried switching the default browser to Chrome, Firefox, and IE and each of them worked without a hitch. Seems that not having a default set in the System settings in Windows 10 causes this issue which makes sense in a way because Captivate wouldn't know which browser you'd want to open this in. An error message to pinpoint the cause would have certainly been useful, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I was having this same problem and this fixed it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2016 Aug 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed the issue for me as well.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix solved the issue for me, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already had Chrome as my default browser, and double-checked, but when I changed to Edge, no further problems.  Thanks, Alek!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources