• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 9 - problem displaying closed captions in video

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2016 May 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem - After I publish a Captivate 9 project as a video, the closed captioning does not display as you watch the video and listen to the audio.

I think I followed the Captivate 9 instructions:

1 - An audio file has been imported and saved in each slide.

2 - From the Audio drop-down, I chose Audio Management

3 - I chose a slide with an imported audio file and clicked the 'closed caption' button at the bottom of the screen

4 - On the Closed Captioning tab, I entered three rows of text for the slide

5 - I saved and closed the Slide Audio window

6 - On the Advanced Audio Management window, 'Yes' now appears in the 'closed Caption' column for the slide I chose.

7 - I closed the Advanced Audio Management window by clicking 'OK.'

Closed captioning does not appear in the Preview.

When I publish the project to my computer, Closed captioning  doesn't appear when I publish the project as a video or as HTML5 / SWF.

What am I missing?

TOPICS
Advanced , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2016 May 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you also make sure that the  each of those three rows of Closed Captioning text were selected?

CC_Selected.png

Did you also then right click on each slide and select Audio > Closed Captioning and adjust the timing of the synchronization there?

CC_EditScreen.png

If not, then THAT could be what you missed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2016 May 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I see that the second image is from Audio > Audio Management > Closed Captioning. I did adjust the timing synchronization.

But where do the parameters in the first image come from? It looks like its from a section of the Timeline, but I didn't know that the text from your Closed Captioning script displays in the Timeline.

Is there another step that I need to add in the numbered steps I entered above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2016 May 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn on the Slide Notes panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you requested, I turned on the Slide Notes. All three lines already been clicked.

Also, FYI, here is the Closed Captioning screen for this slide.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That all looks fine.

So if your CC text is not appearing at run-time the next thing I have to ask is whether or not you have actually turned on the CC button on the playbar?

You DO realise don't you that the CC text does not appear by default?  It's usually left up to the user to decide whether or not they want it to appear by selecting the CC button on the playbar.

If you want CC text to appear from the beginning of the project then you can use an Advanced Action executed ON Slide Enter to set the cpCmndCC system variable to 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be a simple action 'Toggle cpCmndCC' On Enter of the first slide as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lieve,

I'm not sure I see how using a Toggle action on the first slide would be better than  using Assign cpCmndCC with 1.

The Toggle action would turn ON the CC text area, but to have the Toggle action turn it OFF again would require the user to return to the first slide again.

In my view Toggle actions are more useful when they are executed by something like a button that can be clicked repeatedly to turn things on or off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2016 May 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not 'better', but seems easier to understand for users who are afraid of variables. Especially since you mentioned 'advanced action'...which is very frightening. Even the Assign method can be done with a simple action, isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the Assign action can be used with a simple action to set the cpCmndCC system variable.  But the original poster doesn't seem to be trying to toggle the captions on and off.  Just to have them on by default.  So I don't see the use of the Toggle action in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am training newbies at this moment, any click less seems easier. Even if they don't need to toggle it on again, only two fields needed instead of 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2016 May 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an intermediate-level Captivate 9 user, I've never had the need to 'toggle' something, work with Advance Actions, or set system variables. But I'm willing to learn more. After all that I have done, what do I need to do turn on the CC button on the playbar? And why wasn't this important step(s) not included in the Captivate 9 closed captioning instructions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2016 May 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that the only information lacking in the CP instructions?

That is why I proposed a more easy solution instead of the advanced action proposed by Rod. Use the On Enter event of the First slide (on the Actions tab), choose either Assign (or Toggle) and create that simple action:

ToggleCC.png

AssignCC.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In answer to your question, the 'On Enter' event is not discussed in the Closed Captioning instructions.

The instructions should also explain how to configure the 'CC Project Settings' on the right side of the Closed Captioning tab.

After setting these two configurations, I now can see the closed captioning text when I preview my project. I can see the 'close' button in the far right that turns off closed captioning. Is there a way for a user to turn CC on if they turn it off?

Another problem. When I publish the project as a video on my computer, the closed captioning text does not appear.  Is there another configuration that I need to set so my close captioning text will appear in a published video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a toggle button on the playbar, you can use it to turn CC on or off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a good explanation of turning on or off closed captioning on the playbar at this website:

http://lpd.nau.edu/designing-developing-for-accessibility-in-captivate/

When I publish my project as an HTML5/SWF on my computer, the 'cc' button appears on the playbar. The closed captioning text appears on my slides and I can toggle closed captioning off and on using the 'cc' button.

However, closed captioning still does not appear when I publish the project as a video on my computer. The video playbar differs from the playbar on the HTML5/SWF. Should I use a particular playbar for a video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The playbar is part of the skin for a cptx-project. That skin will appear when you have output to SWF/HTML. But that skin is not used in a video output, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So closed captioning is available for published HTML5/SWF output.

Closed captioning is not available for published MP4 video output.

Will closed captioning will be available for MP4 video output in a future version of Captivate?

And will the complete steps and configurations for closed captioning be included in the Captivate instructions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just a user, you should ask Adobe, I cannot see what their plans are for the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publishing a CP piece to MP4 results in a 'stand-alone' video file that takes a bit more effort to attach a closed-caption file to...and it doesn't always work as expected.

First, you need to create an 'SRT' file (or similar) that denotes the captions, then attach it to the video.

Search "attach srt to mp4" for more. It's far to deep a process to detail here. In short, it is not a feature Captivate supports nor do I suspect it will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closed Captions are actually part of the Skin which includes the TOC and the playbar.  Neither of these are published when you output to MP4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

RodWard  wrote

So if your CC text is not appearing at run-time the next thing I have to ask is whether or not you have actually turned on the CC button on the playbar?

You DO realise don't you that the CC text does not appear by default?  It's usually left up to the user to decide whether or not they want it to appear by selecting the CC button on the playbar.

This can be done in Skin Editor, shift+F11, for those like me who search forums because we are trying to learn how to do the things we ask about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my project, I didn't want a playbar (to prevent students from jumping ahead), so I while the project advanced automatically, I did add next (timed to only show near the end of a slide) and back buttons. I also wanted closed captioning to show throughout.

Because I wanted the cc to show and was not using a playbar, I allowed for some white space at the bottom of my slides for where the cc would appear.

I turned the playbar off and on the first slide with audio used an action to show the cc. I also added a pause/play button on each slide (I used solution #2 from this blog Custom Play/Pause button in Captivate - Captivate blog) just in case the student needed to pause the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am no techie, but these are the steps I followed.

Creating an instructional video for students...

1) Open the audio file for a slide (I access by clicking open the timeline and clicking the audio line), select the Closed Captioning tab and add lines as needed. Keep the lines short. A great tutorial - Adding 508 compliant closed captioning in Adobe Captivate 8 - YouTube - I am using Capt 9 - the video still applies.

2) Open the Project tab (top menu) and select Skin Editor and check Closed Captioning (not a default setting). A very small X to close the window in the top right corner (hard to see).

3) Publish the "video" as an Executable. 

When the file is open, it executes as a video with a button included for viewers to turn on CC.

The downside - though I had no issue viewing the video logged in as a student,  the video opened in a small frame (readable, but really too small for my old eyes), and I could not figure out how to enlarge it.

jc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're having the same problem. We NEED the closed captions to be visible in our MP4 project. The swf format is not an option as it is not acceptable by many browsers and the HTML5 format also creates .js and .json files which we're not sure are any more acceptable than .swf?

So, is there any way to make the closed captions visible on MP4?

We've gotten this far: We made the CC default visible by creating an action on the 'On Enter' event of the First slide and now our MP4 project shows nice little white CC-boxes - but without any text inside at all!?

All suggestions are highly appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources