We're experiencing some weird behavior that we've not experienced before. We have a Captivate 9 project where the designer has copied some content from previous version of Captivate. When it is published it will play as a .swf but won't load or play as an HTML5 project. I've tested this in Firefox, Edge and IE. We don't use Chrome here. When another developer tried publishing it again he noticed during publishing when he looked at the Task Manager window it was switching back and forth showing Captivate 6 and then Captivate 8 over and over. We've not had any problems previously like this.
Did your designer first upgrade the projects from which he was sourcing content so that they were all on the same version as the target project BEFORE he then copied stuff over? If not, that might have saved some issues.
However, if the 'content' you are referring to was in fact objects that are SWF-based then none of that will work in HTML5 output no matter what you do.
I know that he only has Captivate 9 on his computer, so wouldn't him opening the older projects in Captivate 9 have upgraded the projects.
I'll have him run the HTML5 tracker to check for any SWF based content.
Thank you for responding and giving us a few things to check on.
He would need to open the earlier version projects and then SAVE them as Cp9 projects in order to do a complete upgrade. But even that is not guaranteed to resolve all issues because if the content consisted of SWF widgets or Learning Interactions then it's quite possible they might not have been compatible with Captivate 9 and would have needed upgrading separately.
Some additional information. This project is using question pools. When they are removed it publishes and opens.
When the HTML5 Tracker was ran on the project no objects came back as incompatible.
The developer is going to try rebuilding it from scratch.
That explains a lot. Quizzing master slides have changed in CP9, adding the Review navigation buttons. Upgrading quiz slides has always been tricky, and this is probably causing your problems. It i one of the reasons I always use GIFT import, because it is much easier to recreate a question pool or quiz slides from scratch in a more recent version.
The developer tried loading GIFT Format questions to question pools and it still just spins when the published project should be loading.
It is not just using GIFT which will solve the issue, you have to be sure that the theme, which includes the quizzing master slides, is a theme created in that version of Captivate, not in a previous version. I mentioned GIFT, because it means you have the content separate from the styling which is the master slide.
He sent the .cptx for me to try. When I tried to publish and play his content it stuck on loading. When I took his .cptx and deleted his random question slide and made a new question pool and inserted a new random question slide the project played.
Well after much trial and error the answer to his problem appears to be how he named his questions pools. He was naming them things like 1-2, 2-2, etc and Captivate didn't like the dash. When he replaced the dash with an underscore it published just fine and works.
Thanks for all the ideas.