• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 9: Slow Performance (64bit, Version 9.0.0.223)

Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm experiencing some frustratingly slow performance while authoring content. For example, moving a box, quiz question, image, etc. takes upwards of 15-20 seconds. CPU usage spikes to 80-90% on one of the four cores, and Captivate stops responding until moving the item is completed.

This even occurs where there are no other applications open.

The computer I'm using exceeds the system requirements:

Core i5-5200U

8GB of RAM

Any advice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Where is the project located?

If it's on a network resource, close the project, copy it to your local C drive (possibly in a folder named c:\projects) and then open it and see if your performance improves.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Rick. However the projects I'm working on are all already stored locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on a MAC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about your cache files?

They might be stored on a network volume and would also make your responsiveness suffer, and Captivate may corrupt the project if the cache is not local.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the responses all. Some answers to your questions:

Windows 7 (64 Bit Enterprise)

Core i5-5200U @2.2GHz

8GB of RAM

I notice a 5-20 sec period when captivate freezes in a variety of situations, such as:

a)moving items or setting their position values manually from properties

b)When clicking on a smart shape, then pressing F2 to edit text

While waiting for whatever change I'm trying to make, the laptop hums away like crazy, resource monitor shows extremely high disk activity.

I have a theory, the PC has full disk encryption with bitlocker 256bit which may be slowing things down a bit? Any thoughts?

I'm creating responsive quiz projects all about 25 random shuffled question slides drawing from question pools of various sizes 30-40 questions to a pool.

Captivate *.cptx file sizes are between 1.5 - 3 megabytes. Probably not relevant because slowness is only while authoring content, but published folder size is 4-7 megabytes.

I restart Captivate once per day - i.e. when I start-up the computer in the morning (I have tried restarting Captivate and the PC at various times during the day but no effect)

Cache files are definitely local

Hope that info helps diagnose the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't one of those Windows 7 'Run As Administrator' scenarios, is it? Just putting it out there, absurdly simple as it sounds. I've been in a few situations where performance and functionality of software has been throttled until I've checked that little box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you verify those file sizes for CTPX and published output again?

1.5 to 3 megabytes for a project with 30-40 questions in several pools doesn't sound right to me.

Are you sure you don't mean 1.5 gigabytes or 150 megabytes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Is it happens consistently every time when you try to perform the above mentioned operations? If yes, then can you please share the project with us so that we can try the scenario at our end. Please upload it to a shared workspace and send me the link at nsukumar@adobe.com

Thanks,

Nimmy Sukumaran.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't run in admin because I'm in a corporate environment, I have a ticket with my IT dept. (meaning it will take about 5-6 working days to hear back from them! haha).

Files sizes given are correct. My previous wording was unclear - to clarify, one quiz draws its questions from one question pool. There are a grand total of two images in the quizzes (company logo + 1 other image). There are no videos/audio or any other media of any kind. File sizes are purposely small because of restrictive bandwidth.

When I previously wrote: "I'm creating responsive quiz projects all about 25 random shuffled question slides drawing from question pools of various sizes 30-40 questions to a pool." - I meant that I was creating many quiz projects, and the question pool for individual quizzes are various sizes - not that individual quizzes draw from multiple question pools.

Thank you nsukumar, I will email you a link to a *.cptx flie shortly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're running in a "corporate environment" then you may also find that your Preferences > Default Locations are NOT pointing to folders on your PC hard drive but are pointing to network folders.  If so, that could be causing the slowness.  You need to have these always point to somewhere local, never a LAN.

If you do not get the IT department to set up your Captivate install so that it always launches with Run As Administrator privileges then it's NEVER going to work properly for you and you will experience many issues.  That's the bottom line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate the ideas RodWard,

Network:

This may be a problem for some who don't change the Captivate default locations from 'My Documents' - these folders may conceivably be mapped to network locations. But this is definitely not the case here. Folders on C: that I created myself such as "C:\Captivate Files\Project name" and "C:\Captivate Files\Adobe Captivate Cached Projects" are definitely NOT network locations.

Admin rights:

"Run as Admin" is something I will bring up with my IT dept - I notice a few forum threads on this topic so could be something there.

(To be honest, if this was indeed the issue I would expect crashes / error messages / lack of functionality / etc. rather than have Captivate actually do what I want but just doing it super-slow)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Can you please elaborate little more on the scenario.

1. Are you seeing the slowness in specific scenario?

2. Is it happening with a Responsive or a blank project?

3. Is it happening with a specific project or with all projects( Project with 10 slides as well). In case if it is project specific, Can you please share the project size and slide count details.

4. How often you restart Captivate.

Thanks,

Nimmy Sukumaran.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also am seeing very slow performance, but in my case it is mostly limited to when I record audio.  It takes about 5 seconds for the Slide Audio dialog to appear after I press the Record button in the toolbar.  I also see a 5-second delay when I press Record within this dialog.  These two delays are very frustrating because I have to record audio on hundreds of slides.  I have a new computer (64-bit Windows 8.1, Intel i7 with 16 GB of RAM) so I should have plenty of CPU power to handle it.  Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thomas,

Can you please elaborate little more on the scenario.

1. Is it happening with a Responsive or a blank project?

2. Is it happening with a specific project or with all projects( Project with 10 slides as well). In case if it is project specific, Can you please share the project size and slide count details.

Thanks,

Rahinie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2016 Jul 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact same problem. I have created a Responsive project and everything is painfully slow. I've tried this on a PC and also on my iMAC and to do anything, type in a text box, move question answers etc takes 15-20 seconds. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2016 Jul 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bens,

You could solve the problem of performance?

I'm having the same problem you ......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 19, 2016 Jul 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having big speed issues too. Have an i7 PC on windows 10 with 16 G of Ram and takes about 50 seconds to create a new blank project and ages to preview projects. I have plenty of free space on my disk. I am saving to my local SSD disk and thecache is local. I have cleaned my preferences and run as administrator and nothing seems to make any difference to he speed. Other apps run fine on my PC.

Any other suggestions welcome!

Many thanks

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i am having the same problem. No solution since a year?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You posted this at least two times: are you still on that old version?  Be sure to have 9.0.2.437.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All,

I have the same problem nowadays. Last week, there was no any slow problems.

I am using Adobe Captivate V 9.0.2.437

I am working on a Responsive project.

There are 147 slides. (Mostly my works same slide count)

Project file size 190 MB

Published Output 90 MB

When I create Blank Project (not responsive) it looks like working normally.

Processor i7-6500U CPU 2.50 GHz 2.59 GHz

RAM 8 GB

System Type 64-bit

Windows 10 Home Editon

Files are in my local, and I am using this computer at home. Not connected a LAN

I try to run Captivate, Run as administrator, but it looks like same slowly.

I have sent the captivate project to Nimmy.

Best,

Faruk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

the upgrade to captivate version 9.0.2.437 solved the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I had the same problem, I solved it by changing the screen resolution to 1600x1900 or less depending on the machine.

The problem seems to be in the power of the video card or in the optimization of captivate vs video cards at high resolutions.

I describe the MAC where I work:

- Mac pro (late 2013)

- 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 processor

- Memory 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

- AMD FirePro D700 6 GB video card

- SSD

PD: https://elearning.adobe.com/2019/07/adobe-captivate-performs-slow-mac-retina-displays/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this topic may be old, but I am having serious problems with the slow performance while editing responsive quizzes. The more customized the project is, the more it's slowing down. Now, I am waiting for 3+ minutes just to resize a text box. Computer's CPU, GPU, Memory percentages are lower than 30%, but still Captivate is barely moving. This happens on all responsive projects (quizzes) I built. I tried all of the suggestions but nothing helps. I am using Captivate 2019 (x64) and have a powerful machine, i9, 64GB ram, Radeon RX5500, but as I mentioned, they are not going above 25% while I wait.

Attached is a 7+ minutes screen recording in which I am able just to edit text and resize one of the answers for the whole time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, do not add to such an old thread.

Which EXACT version do you use? There have been two main releases and many minor ones under CP2019. You find the full version number under Help, About Captivate. The most recent version for Windows is 11.5.5.553.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources