• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 9 won't import any PowerPoint - says file damaged

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently updated to Captivate 9 on work laptop. When trying to import a PowerPoint or create a new project via PowerPoint, I get the same error that says it is unable to import and that the file may be damaged. I've tested it with brand new powerpoints with 1 slide of text, changed them to PPT, reinstalled Office 2010, etc. 

Are there any other solutions to this problem? 

TOPICS
Editing , Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be an incompatibility with that old version of Office 2010?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly, however when I try to do the same thing with Captivate 6, it gives me the same error. I wonder, would the fact that Captivate is a 64 bit program and Office 2010 is the 32 bit version cause the issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say you 'changed them to PPT,' have you tried saving as from PowerPoint to create a PPTx file?

BTW, there are a number of steps that should be followed from the ReadMe.txt document that is packaged with the update.  

Here is a snippet from another post:

As RodWard says, you should verify the preferences and cache files were handled correctly.

Compare your process with the details in the release notes from the Captivate update files.

In another thread, Re: Sluggish performance after update pbdw1969 suggested:

Follow the steps as outlined in the release notes for the update.

You may also want to clear out your cache.

To clear your cache, with Adobe Captivate running but no projects open...

1. Click Edit / Preferences (Shift + F8)
  2. Click on the General Settings category
  3. Click the Clear Cache... button
  4. Click OK

Did you complete those steps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I have indeed tried both PPTX and PPT. I also followed the suggestions to clear preference folders and clean cache. I also tested the 64bit captivate with 32bit office on another computer and I was able to import. So, it must be something specific with this computer. My next step is to reinstall Captivate. Appreciate the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for your troubles..

Do you have Administrator rights on your account?

If not, check with your IT group and ask that they enable admin permissions either for your account or to run the application as administrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this and it initially didn't work, but after combining all the above solutions, I was able to import PPT files...but not PPTX files. So strange. Appreciate all the tips, I'm going to continue some trial and error with the ultimate goal of making PPTX open (since majority of slides I want to import are PPTX). Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on these symptoms and your results, I wonder if there isn't an update to MS Office that will assist in handling the PPTx files.  

If your content is being delivered / developed in this updated format, it may be worth a call to your IT support group  or Microsoft to verify you have the latest version of Office and the adapters/plugins/converters for PPTx files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be surprised if it IS the Office software version that is the problem here. I am on the very latest everything with MS Office and I still cannot load PPTX files into Captivate.  I think this may just be a limitation of Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try opening power point and adobe captivate as administrator. These helped me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encounter the same error.  Anyone find a solution which works?  Most of the solutions in threads did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Erics a few month have passed. Have you find a solution ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources