Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 9 won't launch/open

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2016 Sep 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I was using Captivate today with no issues.  Tonight I have gone to go back in and cannot launch the application.  It let's me click on it and nothing happens.

Is the best course of action to uninstall and reinstall the program?  If so, is there anything I should be wary of when doing this?  Will I lose my Captivate files? 

Feeling a bit anxious so any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Liz

TOPICS
Getting started , Installation and licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 30, 2016 Sep 30, 2016

You will not lose your Captivate files, they should be stored in your Documents folder (hope it is on your system, or did you change the default paths in Preferences?). Try first some other work flows before reinstalling:

• Clear cache, but probably since CP is not starting at all, you'll not be able to use the button in Preferences. Did you keep the default path for the Cache folder?
  • Clean the Preferences: this is possible without starting CP. Run the file CleanPreferences that matches your OS, to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIRST: Reboot your computer then try again.

SECOND: Reset your Preferences folder then try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks RodWard for your help again!

I have rebooted my computer a few times to no avail.

With regards to resetting my preferences folder, can you please let me know where I would find that please?  (I am on a PC if that helps).

Thank you again - greatly appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will not lose your Captivate files, they should be stored in your Documents folder (hope it is on your system, or did you change the default paths in Preferences?). Try first some other work flows before reinstalling:

• Clear cache, but probably since CP is not starting at all, you'll not be able to use the button in Preferences. Did you keep the default path for the Cache folder?
  • Clean the Preferences: this is possible without starting CP. Run the file CleanPreferences that matches your OS, to be found in the subfolder 'Utils' under the CP installation folder. Do you have access to that folder (depends on your rights)? If not will give an alternative.
  • Run Captivate as administrator: did you do that?
  • If you have access to the installation folder, maybe you can find the exe file and try to launch it from there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the folder/file located on a Mac?  I cannot find it.

I have the same problem.  Captivate opens but then freezes with a spinning beach ball.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same location I presume: subfolder Utils under the installation folder. I'm not a Mac user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it is not in the same location on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you LilyBiri - that worked!  So grateful for your help today.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem, I installed CP as trail from adobe website. after finishing the installation, and after lanching the program, the CP loading screen will freeze forever and nothing happening

Can anyone help ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources