• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate does not start anymore

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, from  today Captivate 7 does noc start. Short Splashscreen-thats it. Try re-install, Clean Registry, everything. Start as Admin, and so on. Nothing helps. Windows 10 Pro. Any Idea??? Thank you, Peter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Now i got it: Tried several Compability Versions down to Vista and started as Admin. Result: Program starts, but the loaded project does not appear. Next Step: Changed all Caches to another folder on another drive. Result: WORKS FINE.

But i do not understand why it was running for years wihout any problems. 

Anyway: Thanks to all! Best regards Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guten Morgen.

Officially CP7 is not compatible with Win10 at all. A recent upgrade to Win10 may be the cause.

You can try to clear the cache (button in Preferences), to clean the Preferences by running CleanPreferencesWin.bat (Captivate has to be closed), which you find in the subfolder 'utils' under the installation folder (have no idea if it has a German name). You need administrator rights to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

If Adobe Captivate 7 worked in a previous version of Windows before upgrading to Windows 10, try the following.  This is only a suggestion. 

-Right click on the Adobe Captivate icon.

-Select the Compatibility tab

-Under Compatibility Mode check the box for ā€œRun this program in compatibility mode for:ā€   Then select an earlier version Windows such as Windows 7 from the drop down menu.

-Under Privilege Level: Check the box for ā€œRun this program as an administratorā€.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this a good Idea. Its running on my Home Computer (same Config)  without any Problems since W10 is on the market, but i will try it on Monday in my Office. THX

Cleared the pref-folder. Now it starts, but if i open a project, its not loaded and after some seconds it crashes. Will try the Comp-Mode,.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other possibility to consider is that your system has recently had another software app loaded or an update of some kind that has now created a conflict with Captivate.  Often this is because Captivate uses a DLL (Dynamic Link Library) file in the Windows System directory that has been updated recently but now will not work with Captivate (because it prefers an older version of that DLL).

The bad news is that Adobe will not be interested in creating an updated version of Captivate 7 to make everything right again.  They would certainly do this for more current versions like Captivate 2017 if Microsoft changed something in Windows 10 that caused Cp to crash.  But most software companies will only support older versions of their apps for just a few versions back, if that.  Captivate 7 is now coming up on being 4-5 versions old, which means Adobe would not see it as worth updating.  Too much has changed since it came out.

So what I am trying to say here is that you should ideally be looking at getting a subscription for Captivate so that you can always be on the latest  version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

last week was a big windows update. I think this is the reason... I ordered the new 2017 Version. But in my Company (Lufthansa German Airline) it is not that easy because we have a complex Contract with Adobe with many rules.... hope i will get it soon. Many thanks to all!
Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, I kept one system with Win7 for compatibility with older apps. After the Win10 update, had issues with pdf creation from MS Office applications, which happens all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now i got it: Tried several Compability Versions down to Vista and started as Admin. Result: Program starts, but the loaded project does not appear. Next Step: Changed all Caches to another folder on another drive. Result: WORKS FINE.

But i do not understand why it was running for years wihout any problems. 

Anyway: Thanks to all! Best regards Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Danke schƶn! Thanks for reporting your solution. It is pretty weird, but if it works, fine.

As for why it run before without problems: probably due to an external cause: update windows, drivers.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources