• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate Error

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a .cptx file in Captivate 11.5.0.476. I moved the file to a stand alown computer and tried to open the file with Captivate 11.0.1.266. I recieved the following:

Adobe Captivate - Info...

Adobe Captivate could not open "File.cptx", Ensure that:
-The file is not open already.
-The file is not damaged. For example, if the file was an email attachment, ensure that if you have decoded the file correctly.
-The hard disk has sufficient available space.
-The system has sufficient resources. To optimize the resources, close all the other open applications.

TOPICS
Advanced , Advanced actions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your issue is due to the fact that the two different Captivate versions are not compatible.  You need to update both of them to be Captivate 11.5.

In the past, only when the major version numbers differed would you experience problems with opening files.  However, Captivate 11.5 is an exception to this rule and (as you have found) if you upgrade a project file to 11.5 then 11.0 versions will not be able to open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is outrageous!!! I believe it is shameful that a commercial product can get away with this incompatibility with minor version releases. If we had known this was Adobes approach to version releases, we would have purchased another software product. This is unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reason is that it is not really a 'minor' release at all, but a gracious free update to a new release with a lot of new features. There is no incompatibility between all 11.0 or between all 11.5 minor releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile in Windows Update...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT Adobe's normal behaviour with minor version releases.  As I said in my reply on the 6th of February, this particular version update of Captivate was an exception to their usual rule of having only major version changes causing incompatibility.

In any case, as Lieve points out, it was a FREE update and there were extra features bundled in with it.  All you had to do was upgrade the PC that was using the earlier minor version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if it were that simple. The software is on a standalone Government network with no connection to the internet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then I would have to say the fault lies with whoever made the decision to only upgrade some of the computers that needed to share these files.  Even the most junior of IT people would know that upgrading computer software in a partial fashion is likely to introduce compatibility issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources