• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate .exe file no longer runs because of Flash support

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please can anyone advise me how to get out of this predicament!? I have some .exe files that were created in about 2012 via Captivate. They will no longer run because of the Flash support stopping on 12th January 2021. There is no audio on them.

What are the options?  Any help very gratefully received.  

TOPICS
Audio and video

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to republish your projects to HTML5 and your end users will need to view the content via web browser from a web server or LMS. 

EXE files are no longer going to work now that Flash is well and truly dead.  This eventuality has been forewarned for several years now.  There is currently no other alternative output except HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, much appreciated. However, the problem is that I do not have the source files, only the .exe. 

I have one solution - to run the .exe on a old computer (that is dicionnected from the internet) that thinks the date is last year and capture it as video and save as mp4. Obviously that loses any interaction but will be better than nothing.

Another question though - the .exe file requires that the pkay button be pushed to start - but there is no playbar ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is one of the solutions I proposed for legacy projects where the cptx file is missing:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/using-cpquizinfoanswerchoice-for-survey-conversion-from-swf-to-html

You can use the video as slide video in a cptx-project to create an interactive video, which allows at least to have some Knowledge Check slides. Or you can split the video in smaller clips, and insert normal interactive slides in a cptx project. That would be my approach, planned to post an example as preparation for a presentation in June (Adobe eLearning World conference). But shortly before the conference I was asked to switch to another topic and didn't create that example anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder Adobe with all their resources cannot change the exe part to use html5, perhaps as a self extractor to uncompress the html5 files and run it automatically?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such an EXE file would also need to create a temporary web server to run the HTML5 content each time it was executed because HTML5 requires an HTTP or HTTPS web server environment to run correctly.

Bt all means submit an enhancement requiest to Adobe.  Who knows...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe Adobe needs to come up with that solution. Command line servers exist and it really is leaving a LOT of people in a lurch to abandon such a huge feature. Many of us have been using this for years. Many of us knew Flash was EOL soon and were hoping that the Captivate team would actually look out for us with comparible features. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources