Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate, Flash and Chrome issues

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm a fairly new user to Captivate, and I've recently encountered problems with Chromes gradual phase out of the Flash player. I am building an e-learning module for the College I work at with Captivate, but the majority of content comes from After Effects animations (mp4) that are set up as multi-synchronized slides. From this, the published project is then taken into Moodle via SCORM and then should be viewed. Obviously with Chromes phase out of Flash I can't view anything until verifying unauthorised scripts, which is not useful when it is released to staff needing training.

Is there any sort of workaround for this? I've trawled the internet for solutions and I'm coming up blank, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

TOPICS
Editing , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

PK, please upgradze ASAP to 10.0.1.285. It is Flash player which is dying, the Flash application is very much alive but has been renamed to Animate. It is still the app used for most games. AIR is still also alive. Common misunderstanding.

Did you see my comment about AutoPlay? Can you upload the file to SCORM CLoud to check if the origin of the problems is with Captivate or with Moodle?

Do you have images in the course besides the mp4's?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you not publish to HTML5? I haven't published to SWF anymore since about 2 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I did! I have done the HTML5 publish but it still doesn't show on the Moodle platform. We have some learning tech guys in their dept that can't get it to work.

P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you aware of the fact that not only Flash Player will be dead soon, but that browsers also disable AutoPlay and Captivate does the same for all HTML5 output?

SInce the original files are from AE, I suppose that the MP4 is using the correct codec needed for Captivate.

BTW since you talk about 'multi-syncnronized video', I think you are not using the most recent version (has been renamed to slide video which is better). Which version do you use? Please the full version number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very aware that Flash will be dead soon, and also of the AutoPlay issue. Can you give me any advice on how to go forward with a solution for these e-learning modules? I really don't know where to go with this.

P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry version 10.0.0.192 2017 Release

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PK, please upgradze ASAP to 10.0.1.285. It is Flash player which is dying, the Flash application is very much alive but has been renamed to Animate. It is still the app used for most games. AIR is still also alive. Common misunderstanding.

Did you see my comment about AutoPlay? Can you upload the file to SCORM CLoud to check if the origin of the problems is with Captivate or with Moodle?

Do you have images in the course besides the mp4's?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've uploaded again as a SWF/HTML5 to Moodle to show you what I see. I don't have any issues with Autoplay, it stops perfectly fine where I have buttons set up. The image quality is however awful, which it wasn't before. I'd like to fix this too if possible.

First stage when module is opened...

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 10.44.44.png

Prompt to run flash...

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 10.44.59.png

Module running...

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 10.46.49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you publishing to BOTH SWF and HTML? You shouldn't do that anymore please.

The publishing dialog should look like this. This is an existing shortcut, do't minde the red arrow. But the rest is the set up for a normal HTML output.

PubHTML.png

You seem to misunderstand what I mean by AutoPlay. It will be disabled. THere have been long threads about making the experience more pleasant for the learner. Here is one link:

Poster Image - AutoPlay - Captivate blog

That has nothing to do with buttons and their pausing point. In SWF you can have Autoplay, not in HTML5. That is one of the reasons you should not use the duplicate output with the multiscreen.hmtl launch file anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that's fine, I just did the publish like that so you could see what I'm going through. When I publish to only HTML5, when the package is uploaded to Moodle and then the module opened, it just times out and nothing appears. The contact I have in the learning tech dept can't seem to find a workaround either. I don't know if it's a Moodle issue as I'm not knowledgable on that software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You missed two suggestiosn:

• Update to 10.0.1.285 which fixes some bugs.
  • Upload to SCORM Cloud (can from within Captivate) to check where the issue is: Captivate or Moodle?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will have to wait on my IT dept to update my software unfortunately. I can't upload to the SCORM cloud because it tells me there is a problem with the my internet connection. All the college computers are set up to work on a shared network, so I have connection but Captivate doesn't seem to think I do when I choose this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are on a shared internet connection then your content may be buffering and timing out because your MP4 videos are too large to be delivered on limited bandwidth.

I would suggest creating a simple test project with only a few slides and a small video of 10 megabytes or so.  Then upload that test project to your LMS and see if it plays.

This small test project would also be the one to upload to SCORM Cloud because if your videos are hundreds of megabytes in size you might find that the project is too big and exceeds the filesize limit imposed by the free version of SCORM Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The connection throughout the college is incredibly good, so no issues there. There are 34 mp4 files, each ranging from 1mb to 6mb maximum. The Captivate file is 146.2mb.

I made a test video, but this is what happened when I took it into Moodle.

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 11.38.59.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad, I did not check 'Enable Reporting' but I still have this time out when published.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are publishing to HTML5 from recent versions of Captivate your web server or LMS server must have JSON files enabled.  This could be the issue.  Please check with the Moodle server administrator to make sure JSON files are enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks RodWard I will do, I'm still to hear back from my IT dept about updating Captivate to the latest version.

P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think one of the problems we're having is that previous modules built by an external company that were published as HTML5 work correctly, but the published files I am making do not show. Is there something I'm missing in the publish settings that are causing these problems? It's driving me crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did show you the publishing dialog as you have to use it. I asked if you had graphics besides the videos, because of the JSON support but no answer to that question. You talk about buttons, which are probably used to  control the videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did follow your instruction with regards to publishing. The only other graphics I have are background images on some slides. I have added buttons on some video slides to control the videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this helps, here is a list of content of the project.

• There are mp4 video files added as 'multi synchronized slides (I realise I am on an older version and they are different now
  • There are a few background image files, as jpegs
  • There are a few knowledge check questions
  • Transparent buttons have been added to some slides for navigation purposes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the issue DOES turn out to be due to JSON files, and the other external supplier of courseware used a different tool (e.g. Articulate Storyline) that does not include JSON files, then that would explain why their content worked and yours does not.  Also, if that external company was using an earlier version of Captivate that does NOT export output that includes JSON files, then that also would explain why their content works.

JSON files began being included in Captivate content starting with a minor update late in the development of Captivate 9.  So earlier versions of Captivate 9 did not include JSON but later versions did.  Since that time all other versions of Captivate (e.g. Cp 2017 and Cp 2019) have included JSON files as part of their HTML5 output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Backgrounds are separate images, you need JSON in that case.

Do you have reporting set up? Can you show a screenshot of the content of the published folder?

The reason you cannot upload to SCORM Cloud is probably the file size.

The last screenshot about the small test project seems to indicate that you have to upload a SCORM package, which means it IS necessary to set up Quiz, Reporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reporting settings...

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 13.01.03.png

Published folders...

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 13.03.02.png

Also a reply from my learning tech guy...

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 13.06.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything in a Captivate HTML5 project is HTML5 compliant.  That's not likely to be the issue.

Look inside the DR folder shown in your output and you will likely find a few JSON files.  Ask your IT dude to check whether or not the server is set up to allow JSON files.  These files are essential to the functioning of the output.  If they have not been served (delivered) by the server than nothing is going to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources