• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate flash discontinuation?

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When does Captivate plan to discontinue the use of flash-based features/interactive elements? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019
Are you perhaps still publishing to SWF AND HTML? I have not published to SWF since 3 years, and no problems whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The end of support is by year end of 2020, however, you will find that most browsers no longer allow the flash player to be activated by default. You can force it to work but the end-user experience isn't great at this point. I would be well into a transition plan to HTML5. You will notice that most of the new features in Captivate that have been released are only available for HTML5 publishing. I suspect by the next major release Captivate will no longer publish to SWF. That's just a guess but I feel strongly this is the case.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would not be friendly for those customers who stiil have SWF based

courses and/or are forced to use old browsers, not supporting HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In every case where a client needs older browsers and operating systems to run their business, it's because they are holding on to old software that they should have stopped using years ago. I guess if they want to run their business with older software they can author their eLearning that way as well. As much as I had fond memories of creating eLearning using early copies of Captivate, I wouldn't want to return to Captivate 2.0

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some older Captivate Modules that I am republishing as HTML5.  They have embedded flv videos in them.  Since they are being republished as HTML5 will these embeded flv play without flash in the browser.  My new modules I put all videos in You Tube and embed the You Tube link into the module.  I don't want to have to redo these old modules, I just want to republish them as HTML5 which I am doing without an issue, but I'm concerned about when browsers no longer play flv.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you test? If the videos are the only feature incompatible with HTML5, and you can find an older version of the Adobe Media Encoder, you could convert them to H264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a little investigating and checked the published files and it looks like when I published the files to HTML5 it converted the videos automatically to MP4. I did notice media encoder popped while they were publishing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was not sure, but that happens with FMR slides as well. Thanks for testing, my suspicion is now confirmed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about interactive content? I have videos with rollover captions. When I publish these to the HTML5 output, it just wraps the SWF file in an HTML5 wrapper, which won't work in a Flash-blocking browser. Am I SOL (swf out of luck) ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate doesn't use wrappers (concurrence may). Rollover captions and images are only supported for desktop/laptop and will work fine in HTML5 output. Not for responsive projects, nor on mobile devices, because they don't have a rollover.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so wrapper is the wrong term. But my point is that Captivate publishes the SWF file along with the HTML5, and the HTML5 references the SWF file, so rollover captions won't work on desktops & laptops if the browser blocks flash content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you perhaps still publishing to SWF AND HTML? I have not published to SWF since 3 years, and no problems whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that was it. the option says Publish as: HTML5 / SWF, but there's an Output Format option to select SWF or HTML5 or both. It's not intuitive to tell which option(s) is selected. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just take out the publish to SWF and you are fine. Even rollovers will play, with the exception of rollover slidelet, but only on devices where rollovers are possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had rollovers in a number of courses which don't work in HTML5. we re-wrote them with Advanced Actions, and highlighted the areas where users could click, instead of rolling over. we did this in Captivate 8 and 2016, when we saw many browsers were beginning to discontinue flash actions/support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem with rollovers is not with HTML5, but they cannot be used on devices where rollover is inexistent. As I wrote they do work perfectly for desktop/laptop users. At least the rollover Image, Text and the rollover states in multistate interactive objects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that rollover slidelets are not working in HTML5, so I needed to change into clickable buttons. I now experience the same problem with Drag and Drop of multiple darg sources with multiple drop targets. Is this correct? Besides this it is strange to experience that "Preview Project"looks SWF based and thus not shows what you will see in a HTML5-Export. Or am I mistaken? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rollover captions and images will work on desktop/laptop even in HTML5 output.

For non-responsive projects, I post the warning almost daily: only use F11, Preview HTML in Browser if you want to have a more or less workable preview, not another Preview method. It is annoying that the Preview will then be always from the first slide. For that reason I will activate the TOC with full navigation control during testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI 

Can someone help with guidance on generating the HTML5 as a zip file. Our LMS only accepts zip files and I cant seem to publish as a zip without including the swf format. Im trying to convert scorm files that are now too old to run our LMS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must first select the necessary options to configure for SCORM output in the Quiz Reporting screens, and then when you publish out, make sure the ZIP checkbox is selected on the Publish dialog.  That should result in your outpu being a zipped SCORM file that would be accepted by a SCORM-compliant LMS.

From the sound of your question, it seems like you are being confused by the SWF and HTML button on the publish dialog.  I am not surprised that you find these tricky because they are actually ACTIVE when they look greyed out.  So if you want to publish without SWF but with ONLY HTML instead, then your dialog should look like this:

PublishForHTML5OnlyZipped.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats great thanks, what happens if I also click scalable HTML content? is that good or bad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It will rescale to fill the browser window. Depending on that size, it may lead to some loss of crispness, but I like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources